Rapid decline with Vascular Dememtia

Beth8

Aug 22, 2017
My Uncle has been diagnosed with vascular dementia, he is 61 and has no family other than myself and his sister. In February he was working, May he had a crisis that led to him being admitted to a psychiatric hospital. I visited him shortly after his admission he could hold what appeared to be a lucid conversation, albeit with delays in response and delusions. Shortly after his diagnosis was given.
I visited him earlier this month (unfortunately we live 200+ miles away) and again we could hold a conversation (not as well as last time) with some untrue info from him (things he said he'd seen on the news but hadn't). The staff informed us that he was being supervised at meal times as he was now a choking risk.
Then I have just visited him again.... now doubly incontinent, doesn't really understand us and struggling to communicate.
I know vascular dementia declines in steps but I can not believe the speed of his decline especially at his age. Has anyone experienced such a rapid decline? We are very worried about what his prognosis now may be as he seems to have jumped to late stage vascular dementia in the blink of an eye.

Cat27

Feb 27, 2015
Merseyside
Welcome to TP :)

Vascular dementia can have big dips & it can be shocking to watch it happening.
I wish you strength.

Beth8

Aug 22, 2017
Thank you.

It is awful to watch, I was expecting big dips but not at this speed.... it's shocking.

Beth8

Aug 22, 2017
I can only assume that he has been physically checked for any other causes such as any infection, urinary, chest etc. Infections can also hugely effect VD although sometimes the effect although long-lasting, can be only temporary.

Hi and thank you. He does actually have quite a nasty dental/oral infection that he is recieving treatment for and it came at the same time as this rapid decline. Fingers crossed these new symptoms lessen with time.
The medical staff do think he has been living with/hiding the dementia for some time but even they are saying the decline seems very rapid.
My Grandmother (not his Mum) had dementia too but I don't remember her decline being this quick, although I don't think hers was vascular.