Rambling whinge warning

Status
Not open for further replies.

AbbyGee

Nov 26, 2018
Portsmouth, South Coast
Weds 6th - oh hell's bells.
Around 8.30pm my OH 'went off on one' BIG TIME and started to become aggressive, causing himself harm, and rampaging at a fast shuffle around the house, the garden, and the shared car park area. My lovely neighbour kept a watch on him as I could not get near with any self-preserving sense of safety. Even the neighbour couldn't calm him which was a first. I could see forehead sweating but I was unable to get close enough to feel his chest, or back.

Finally called 111 and after a triage call back from 999 an ambulance was ordered at 10.30pm.

OH started to slow down so neighbour went home whilst he continued wandering but with the aggression diminishing.

By 1.30am he'd pretty well worn himself out, was cooled down (literally), and slumped on the sofa with only the odd bit of wandering.

2.30am - called 999 and requested a stand down on the ambulance. After another triage call back they agreed to call off so we eventually got to bed at 3am.

Thursday 7th - had to get up early to prepare to go to Memory Clinic appointment. Not easy after so little rest. The OH had no recall that anything untoward had taken place so that made things a little smoother.

Despite not seeing anyone last night from the emergency services they had worked fast as I had a call from the local constabulary to say they were coming to take a report due to safeguarding issues! I agreed, reluctantly, to see them later in the day once we'd returned.

Got to the Memory Clinic and the nurse had also received contact about the previous evening.

My OH is much further down the road in his Alz Dem 'journey' than I realised. I hate that 'journey' expression as it suggests some sort of fun and enjoyment. Anyway, lots of things were discussed - including his slight shake - and I showed videos I'd taken of the OH's self harming. None of the usual verbal or visual tests as the nurse could see it would only cause him further distress. The upshot is an additional med is being prescribed. I should be able to collect it today (Fri 8th) or tomorrow morning.

Got home, had a nice cuppa and a snacky thing and tried to settle down a bit.

Took OH to the bathroom and noticed bloodstains inside his pullups. Also a little in the pan and with some careful use of tissue found it coming from his penis. A UTI maybe? I hope it is something as simple as that and contributed to the mad whirl. Phoned GP's surgery immediately - they were just about to close and I was advised to call 111. Phoned and pressed all the correct buttons and whilse listening to the infuriating 'music' on hold the police officers arrived so ended the call. Introduced the two lasses as old school friends who'd dropped in on their way past. Yup, about right! I'm old enough to be their mum but it seemed the best thing to say. One sat and chatted to the OH so I could have an open chat with the other in the kitchen.

An hour later, after the officers left I tried 111 again but had to hang up as the OH was becoming agitated about the officers' visit and I did not want to use the words urine or blood etc within his hearing. I'll get a urine sample in the morning and be on the phone to the GP surgery at 8am sharp. In yet another call queue. With more infuriating 'music'.

As the evening progressed he seemed not too bad in himself, probably due to non-stop Andre Rieu DVDs and, unusually, went to bed without protest around 10.45. I've fed him so much plain water he'll be going to the bathroom all night. In fact it's only just gone 1.30am and he's been up twice.

Once he was in bed the first time I came back downstairs to clear up and have the luxury of a quiet ciggie and some me-time chill-out. It was then I noticed an envelope I'd left by the TV. It was a card from a friend for our Pearl/30th wedding anniversary on the 7th.

I'm feeling a tad despondent right now but come daylight I'll be stamping my little feet to get some action from the surgery. Wish me luck, good people.

Afterthought - as the officers were leaving I'm sure I heard words to the effect of 'file as common assault'. No, just no ...

Last edited:

Melles Belles

Jul 4, 2017
South east
@AbbyGee I hope you get some action from the GP this morning And that the new medication calms him. It is completely unacceptable that carers are out in danger from their PWDs and the authorities just don’t seem to get it. Sending you a hug and hope you both have a calmer day.

GillP

Aug 11, 2021
Hope you get some clarification from the GP. You’ve had a traumatic time @AbbyGee . You handled things so calmly and with consideration. Make sure that you look after yourself as much as is possible

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
@AbbyGee I agree with you about using Journey to describe the progress of dementia. It always sets my teeth on edge too.
I know it's not something you want, but I do think it is getting to the time when you need to seriously consider your husband moving into care. That wouldn't mean you'd stop being his wife and carer, but it would mean that there would be a whole team looking after him.

AbbyGee

Nov 26, 2018
Portsmouth, South Coast
No joy with our surgery - GP now at capacity for the day. Was advised to take him to Treatment Centre at local hospital which I shall try to do later once he's more cooperative. I'm sure this is a UTI as he's quite warm, dozily confused, said he's 'itchy' around his man bits and expresses feeling 'peculiar.' He was very slow in waking - refused shower or flannel wash so things haven't happened today as early as I would have liked. Managed to get a nice specimen for whoever may take an interest though.

On a more positive note I've had a call from the Mental Health Team to say Community Mental Health nurse is calling in on Monday.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
its awful @AbbyGee i spent most of the week on the phone to get my husband a call back which was a waste of time. dont carers have enough to do without chasing doctors. the 8am should make carers exempt. need to take it more seriously. hope you get results today, the medicine and a couple of extra luxury cigs.

AbbyGee

Nov 26, 2018
Portsmouth, South Coast
@AbbyGee I agree with you about using Journey to describe the progress of dementia. It always sets my teeth on edge too.
I know it's not something you want, but I do think it is getting to the time when you need to seriously consider your husband moving into care. That wouldn't mean you'd stop being his wife and carer, but it would mean that there would be a whole team looking after him.
I'm starting to consider the possibility of a care home but first I want to give the new meds a good crack and get more help at home, one way or another . If the meds *do* help with the effects of sundowning and relieve his anxieties then I will have a better chance to sit back and calmly explore all the options without just constantly firefighting.

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
Happy Anniversary @AbbyGee (Said genuinely, without sarcasm, though I bet it's hard to see anything happy about it.)

Things are coming to a head. Take a deep breath and hold tight because I think this is leading to a care home for your OH.

And here - have one of mine - they are the special sort... ;)

Moggymad

May 12, 2017
I think the GP should issue you with emergency antibiotics you dont need an appointment for them. Are they aware of what occurred? Could your neighbour help out by going to pickup or sit with Hubble whilst you go?111 should do it if any issues with GP. This situation is so difficult & can be dangerous as you know. I really feel concerned for you @AbbyGee

Jale

Jul 9, 2018
OMG, what a time you have had. I too hate the word journey. I do seem to remember that when mum was still at home she was on a list (can't remember what it was called but I think it was a "purple list" )at her GP that if I had to phone for a problem like you have just described then I would speak to a GP, not necessarily her own GP but a GP nonetheless.
I know that I had to phone them a few times and they were very good, but of course this was all before Covid so things may well have changed.
I hope that you are able to get some help on Monday, take care x

AbbyGee

Nov 26, 2018
Portsmouth, South Coast
I think the GP should issue you with emergency antibiotics you dont need an appointment for them. Are they aware of what occurred? Could your neighbour help out by going to pickup or sit with Hubble whilst you go?111 should do it if any issues with GP. This situation is so difficult & can be dangerous as you know. I really feel concerned for you @AbbyGee
We have standby meds (antibiotics & steroids) for any flare up with my OH's COPD but not all antibiotics do the same job. Neighbours all much younger so are out to work during the day.
But hey-ho ... have just started the new antibiotics.

AbbyGee

Nov 26, 2018
Portsmouth, South Coast
Got to the treatment centre where, after seeing the Triage nurse, we saw the doctor. He expressed surprise that so many people are referred to them by their GP's. I explained that this area, at the latest count, has the lowest GP to patient ratio in the country. He took the specimen to check for any blood (none). Being an Emergency Treatment centre they're not geared up to send stuff off for analysis - quite understandably - so I'd have to get a fresh sample to my GP. Was given a script for antibiotics to be started after new specimen handed in.
Home again! Phoned GP surgery. After some faffing about a GP returned my call and said she'd sort out the form and if the specimen could be there by 4pm it would go off today. Unsure quite how I managed to coax a specimen to appear but dutifully toddled round there, OH in wheelchair, and delivered it. Result will be back Wednesday or Thursday. If it's negative for UTI I have to get an appointment with GP. Yup. Just like that. Not.
Up to local pharmacy. Got new antibiotics and Clonazepam. Home again. Dose of Clonazepam administered and will do the other stuff with or after food. The OH is now sitting in the garden in the warm shade happily burbling to himself. Long may the peace reign.
The Community MH Nurse phoned and we agreed she'd call Tuesday rather than Monday.
Right now my head's a fuzzy jumble of dates and techno speak.
I'm gonna stop the whinge now and come back again when there's some jolly jolly upbeat and happy stuff to share.
Thanks each an' all. Don't know quite what I'd do without you all right at the moment.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
No wonder your head is a fuzzy jumble of dates etc. There's no way this is a whinge! Not many people could do what you're doing and still sound upbeat.

Wishing you strength.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
no need to wait until after a whinge. whinge all you want. my husband has steroids and anti bios for COPD flare ups. we had gp phoned back lunch time and by the time he had finished, i was losing the will to live and had to remind myself what reason it was in the first time. cant they just dip it and find out. good luck with the new meds.

AbbyGee

Nov 26, 2018
Portsmouth, South Coast
no need to wait until after a whinge. whinge all you want. my husband has steroids and anti bios for COPD flare ups. we had gp phoned back lunch time and by the time he had finished, i was losing the will to live and had to remind myself what reason it was in the first time. cant they just dip it and find out. good luck with the new meds.
Our GP doesn't do the dips. They send stuff away. :(

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
I am sorry you have been facing such an awful time @AbbyGee but glad to hear that you are on the radar of the Community Mental Health team. I went through two crises points during my husband's illness and the intervention of the Community Mental Health team on both occasions was what got things done instead of me being shoved from pillar to post. I hope you and your OH will receive the same level of support.

CAL Y

Jul 17, 2021
@AbbyGee . What a shambles. Apart from the inconvenience to you, how much is it costing the nhs to have to do the same job two or three times over.
It would have taken 5 minutes for someone in the surgery to dip a urine specimen.
Makes my blood boil.??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jon56