Raising awareness

babita

Oct 10, 2006
London
Hi, my name is Babita and I'm a student from London. i'm writing an article about Alzheimer's in young people and the effect it has on their families as well as their thoughts about the topic. I have researched the disease, and am looking at it in young people as to raise awareness for it.

I would really appreciate it if I could sepak to people it has affected and messages they would like to get to the public.
Many thanks

hairwench

Oct 1, 2006
wisbech
Hi Babita,
my name is Kerry, my husband Peter has been diagnosed for about 4 years and he is 59 now.
The whole experience has pretty much devastated our lives even though we are both quite positive and laid back people.
From a medical point of view we have been treated fairly well and quickly in comparison to some others,we are in East Anglia, I know that your location can have some bearing on this.Peter is currently on mementine(ebixa) I was worried that this may be withdrawn as he has got worse lately and currently this is a topic of discussion with the medical council but at the moment things seem to be ok. I have no idea what would happen if he wasnt on the drug.
From a personal point of view,Peter is still the man i know and love, but he is slowly being taken from me before my eyes and this feels like the cruelest disease in the world. I will do whatever i have to to make sure he is safe and happy , it is heartbreaking that our roles have reversed, sometimes i am very scared so god only knows how he feels.I am only 37 myself and am now finding it really hard to juggle caring for him and working and doing everything else that needs doing. It is most certainly true that you find out who your friends really are, the ones who stick by you are very special and family very important, we are lucky in both these respects.
Yes we still have some really special and happy times, he is a very kind, caring and special person, but my overwhelming feeling is that of being robbed of the person i love and the life we looked forward to. Sorry if this doesn't sound too positive, hope it gives you some useful info,
Kerryhairwench

twink

Oct 28, 2005
Cambridgeshire UK
hi

Hi Babita,

I have just got home from the hospital half an hour ago after a meeting with the psychiatrist about my husband who has dementia. He is 56 years old. I've been told that he is very ill, he will go downhill dramatically in the next year or so and have maybe 3 or 4 years left, he is severely demented and has declined very very rapidly. They have taken him off the drugs, Exelon in his case and he will stay in hospital until a place in a home becomes available.

Kerry: My husband is in hospital in Wisbech. They have been wonderful.

Sue

hairwench

Oct 1, 2006
wisbech
hi sue, that is really reassuring to know, we are in wisbech aswell, everyone we have dealt with so far has been really helpful, thanks

babita

Oct 10, 2006
London
Thank you for your reply, Kerry, it was very helpful. You sound like a very brave person, and your husband is lucky to have you. All the organisations I have spoken to have been helpful in giving me information, and it sounds like prgress is being made in diagnosing the disease earlier, and also in finding treatments. I started researching Alzheimer's as a relative of my friend suffers from it, and I think it's something that people don't always understand, especially in young people. I hope that writing my article can open people's eyes a little more.

Babita

babita

Oct 10, 2006
London
Hi Nada,

thank you for your concern. I am trying to get an insider's view of the disease and see what it the hardest thing to cope with from the point of view of a carer, relative or even sufferer. I want to compare it with a late onset in terms of services available, symptoms and difficulties with daily life.

All quotes that I take will remain anonymous unless I ask if I may include the names.

Thank you again for your help,

Babita

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ian.Hogan