Radio 4 today, about Rosie Boycott telling her father he had Alzheimer's

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
There was a good programme on Radio4's "Choice" series today.

Rosie Boycott told Michael Buerk about her decision regarding telling her father he had Alzheimer's.

You can pick it up on the Web on http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/religion/choice.shtml

I just listened to the full programme, having only heard the first half in the car, and it is really good, in terms of describing many of the problems we all face.

Last edited:

CraigC

Mar 21, 2003
London
Hi Bruce,

thanks very much for that. Thought I'd missed out until I saw the link for the recording....

Mucho Appreciated!
Craig

Sheila

Oct 23, 2003
West Sussex
Hi, usual scenario, tried to find it through the link, messed up, will rely on what you guys say about it as too flop to do any more sorry, love She. XX

barraf

Mar 27, 2004
Huddersfield
Rosie Boycott etc

Thanks Bruce
I have just listened to the programme.

The description of her father's progress of Alzheimer's was quite graphic and true to life. the deterioration seemed rather more rapid than any I have personal knowledge of. From flying off to Holland on his own in February to not being well enough for a wedding in June sounds a very dramatic change.

The decision whether or not to tell her father of his condition is of course a purely personal one, and outsiders can't really comment.

Most of the caring seems to have been done at a distance obviously with paid carers. Which is outside the range of most of us who have to rely upon the Social services to supplement our efforts.

The programme is well worth listening to if anyone is thinking of doing so. And while I do not think that it reflects the true agony (or workload) of the general run of carers, any programme or news that brings Alzheimer's to a wider audience is to be encouraged.

Barraf

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LynnieSmith