Radio 4 BBC Dementia Month - Have you been affected by dementia?

Lynne

Jun 3, 2005
Suffolk,England
Having criticised the BBC the other day (11/11) ...

Since I speak as I find, I now offer them a bouquet for today's programme. They were covering the subject of NICE 'considering the withdrawal of AD-related drugs', and they covered it very well, giving quite a lot of air time to vehement opinions from both sufferers and carers/relatives as to how much difference these meds made in terms of quality of life. The value of them cannot be measured in terms of monetary cost

I would recommend anyone to get onto their website and access the "Listen again" facility, the You & Yours programme, Thurs. 17/11

PS. "NICE" ??? Now there's an inappropriate acronym

Last edited:

susie

Nov 30, 2003
shropshire
hello Lynne
Along with my daughter Jojo, David and I have been featured on "you and yours" and we have heard from the programme and the Alzheimers society that they have had plenty of positive feedback from the programme. Any publicity that continues to bring dementia out into the public domain is so valuable as we want to abolish this stigma associated with mental health. I'm glad you liked report of the pros and cons of the NICE attitude to the drugs. I'm very proud of my husband for speaking on the programme as it was rather a strain trying to understand the questions but he wanted to do his bit for Alzheimers. As he has been on galantamine for 3 years now,it's effect is diminishing and symptons are coming to the fore now. Without a paltry £2.50 being spent on him, I think he would be well on the way to full time care by now if he hadn't been given the tablets! Please continue to support the fight for tablets in any way you can.
Susie

Sandy

Mar 23, 2005
You and Yours Listen Again Option

Hi All,

Just wanted to let people know that You and Yours have set up Listen Again links for just the portions of the programme dealing with dementia this month. I don't think this was in place when the series started, but it's available now:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/youandyours/dementia.shtml

Take care,

Sandy

Lynne

Jun 3, 2005
Suffolk,England
Probably only a pipe dream, but it would be really good if they would make a tape of the whole set/series available, perhaps to the Alz Soc., who could sell them on?