1. Expert Q&A: Protecting a person with dementia from financial abuse - Weds 26 June, 3:30-4:30 pm

Financial abuse can have serious consequences for a person with dementia. Find out how to protect a person with dementia from financial abuse.

Sam, our Knowledge Officer (Legal and Welfare Rights) is our expert on this topic. She will be here to answer your questions on Wednesday 26 June between 3:30 - 4:30 pm.

You can either post questions >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll answer as many as we can on the day.

1. Brucie

Brucie Registered User

Jan 31, 2004
    near London
    Did anyone listen to Barbara Pointon on the Jeremy Vine Show on Radio 2 today?

I wasn't expecting it - I was in the car en route to see Jan.

Fantastic bit of coverage and, for once, covering Young Onset Dementia very well.

There is a TV film about Barbara and Malcolm due on ITV on 8 August. It will - contraversially - feature his last moments.

Her description of their last time together and the multitude of issues of dementia was about the best I have heard!

You can listen again half an hour in to http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/radio2_aod.shtml?radio2/r2_vine_fri

If the link doesn't work then go to the Jeremy Vine pages of BBC - Radio 2 and link from there.

2. Margarita

Margarita Registered User

Feb 17, 2006
    london
    Link does work , but am geting this

:(

3. Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
    london
    got to listen to it .

Very interesting to hear that it has been film for 11 years and they was a bit of a debate , about showing his end of life on TV

4. Grannie G

Grannie G Volunteer Moderator

Apr 3, 2006
    Kent
    Thank you Bruce.

As I was listening, Dhiren came into the room. We listened together, I was anxious but had no alternative,

He distanced himself from Barbara, from a personal perspective, which allowed him to feel sympathy for her.

When the recording finished, he said, `I haven`t got full Alzheinmers, I`ve just got a bit.`

I don`t think I`ll be able to watch the TV programme with him.

5. Skye

Skye Registered User

Aug 29, 2006
    SW Scotland
    I've just listened to it, it's very moving. Fortunately John couldn't understand it. He'll be in bed when the TV programme is on, but I'm not sure I'll be able to watch it.

6. cris

cris Registered User

Aug 23, 2006
    Chelmsford
    There is a good interview, maybe the same one, on radio 4 at 8-10am. interviewing Barbara. I will listen to R2 now
    cris

7. cris

cris Registered User

Aug 23, 2006
    Chelmsford
    Brucie how do you post a radio link ? please
    r4 8-10am Barbara interview.
    cris

8. angela.robinson

angela.robinson Registered User

Dec 27, 2004
    sylvia ,dont take this the wrong way , but i hope you dont attempt to watch this film with hubby, if he has any awareness that he has AD it could be devastating for him ... not everyone with AD sees something one day then forgets the next ,certainly not the case with my JIM . the first time this film was shown unexpectedly,i fell over myself trying to switch it off ,as i did with anything connected with AD , though i really wanted to watch this myself.second time around i made sure i taped it, then watched it myself. late at night when JIM was settled in bed , that is how i watched all these programs , and i read about the illness in bed ,from books that i kept hidden during the day . i was terribly upset myself to see what the future may have in store for us both , you may think i was over protective , but i dont regret this in any way .I hope you are both recovered from your manchester trip
    ANGELA.X

9. Skye

Skye Registered User

Aug 29, 2006
    SW Scotland
  10. cris

cris Registered User

Aug 23, 2006
    Chelmsford
    Radio 4 at 8-10am interview pretty much same as R2 jeremy vine but with "listener" input.
    cris

11. Skye

Skye Registered User

Aug 29, 2006
    SW Scotland
    I tried to find it, cris, but couldn't.

12. Grannie G

Apr 3, 2006
    Kent
    Dear Angela,

Thank you for your concern.

When Dhiren came into the room when I was listening to Jeremy Vine`s interview, I felt awful. But he has far better hearing than I have and picked up immediately, it was about Alzheimers. If I`d turned it off, I would have made things worse.

Fortunately, he distanced himself from any personal connection with Barbara, felt really sorry for her and was grateful he didn`t have `full` Alzheimers.

When the film comes on TV, there is absolutely no way he will watch it, if I can help it.

I`m unable to video it, as I need subtitles, but I will miss it rather than let him see it.

The only trouble is, on a good day, he will look in the paper, to see what`s on, and if he finds it himself, I don`t know what I`ll do.

He often has a sleep in the evening. I`ll have to keep my fingers crossed.

Thanks again for caring.

Love xx

13. cris

cris Registered User

Aug 23, 2006
    Chelmsford
    Hazel this is the R4 link. Pick the 8-10 interview

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/today/ this is the R4 link

the R2 Jeremy Vine interview starts after 00:40:00 you need to jump 40 minutes
    through the show for Barbara to start talking

cris

14. Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
    london
    #14 Margarita, Jul 29, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2007
    Thanks for that link Hazel

I thought of that about , when I read about Barbara showing her husband last Min of life , I remembered when they view his death on TV .

But what I find very confusing , with AZ and someone , with Cancer

Is the fear of openly talking about it within the family while the person is around, when it come to AZ .

My mother also seem to distanced herself if they a program about AZ on TV , but with my mother I feel that to do with she does not understand what AZ is , but does understand the word dementia.

I don't think that happen now days with people with Cancer if they get Cancer in they 50s , scared to talk about the progression of the illness cancer or the way they going to die with they love one .I don't know I may be wrong .

My mother brother die from stomach Cancer , mum never told us he died from cancer , or even had cancer but that was over 20 years ago .

That why I am going to watch it , because I want to face my fear , as I don't like living with this fear of mum ending of life with AZ , Just don't like the feeling of fear . living with fear in me , its horrible feeling .

15. Skye

Skye Registered User

Aug 29, 2006
    SW Scotland
    I'm being interviewed tomorrow by the Scottish Sun, for a feature to be published in association with the TV programme.

16. Grannie G

Apr 3, 2006
    Kent
    Great news, Hazel. Please keep us posted.

Love xx

17. connie

connie Registered User

Mar 7, 2004
    Frinton-on-Sea
    Hazel, well done. Will be thinking about you.

(Is this re the Malcolm & Barbara story or totally unrelated?) Just curious?

18. Skye

Skye Registered User

Aug 29, 2006
    SW Scotland
    Yes, they're running a feature about iMalcolm & Barbara. I presume it will be published the same day as the TV programme, I'll find out tomorrow (not that many of you will be able to read it, unless it's online. I'll have to find that out too.)

Can't say I'm really feeling like it though! They want a photo, too! Yuk! craters in the bags under my eyes!

19. Grannie G

Apr 3, 2006
    Kent
    Could you ask if copies would be available by mail order, please Hazel. I`d willingly pay a bit extra plus the postage.

20. connie

connie Registered User

Mar 7, 2004
    Frinton-on-Sea
    Hazel, can I echo Sylvia's last post. Thanks, if it not too much trouble.