Radiator noise

Zanah

Mar 25, 2020
Hi everyone I was wondering if you could all give me some ideas and tips, I look after someone that is living with dementia, they seem to at night time and throughout the day will put anything behind a radiator and scrap it down with a coat hanger or they will do it with the shoe horn? we aren't able to put a radiator cover, they only seem to do it in the bedroom now we are getting a lot of noise complaints I was wondering if anyone has had this problem and can give me some ideas so what to do?

Cat27

Feb 27, 2015
Merseyside
Welcome to DTP @Zanah
Could you stuff a rolled towel along the top of the radiator?
Please keep posting as you’ll get lots of support here.

Zanah

Mar 25, 2020
we have tried a towel but that keeps getting more and then they try pushing it down with the coat hangers.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Goodness, the things people with dementia think up!
Actually, hiding things behind furniture/radiators etc is quite common. I found the deeds to mums property stuffed right at the back of a chest of drawers - goodness only knows how she got them there! Unfortunately, in my experience, its almost impossible to stop them doing something once they are fixated on it and Im sorry that the neighbours are complaining. Eventually the obsession will pass and although she will probably go onto a different obsession, lets hope that it is a quieter one

Zanah

Mar 25, 2020
Thank you so much for your reply, I hope this will happen soon.... as I don't feel like we are getting far with it all.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Would fitting a shelf above the radiator help? Or putting a piece of furniture in front of it if there’s room. Or long curtains if it’s under a window.

Hopefully this phase will pass soon.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Any chance of putting something behind the radiator so that the probing coat hanger/shoe horn does not contact the radiator?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ArthurPOA