Race to the Pearly Gates

Discussion in 'I have a partner with dementia' started by PandA4T, Oct 23, 2019.

1. PandA4T

PandA4T Registered User

Aug 14, 2016
    Oxfordshire
    My wife and I are both in our eighties, she has advanced dementia, I cancer, so its a race to the Pearly Gates. For the last few years my wife was in the lead. I was mortified and had grave misgiving of being left behind. Then last year I leaped ahead, in fact was dead cert to win. Recently due to NHS intervention I am now dropping back. It would be great if like the Brownlee Brothers we crossed the line hand in hand. As an aside its stranger that the NHS will cremate bits of me for free, but it costs to get rid of the last bit. The good news is what ever happens we will not be apart for long. I hope we leave a smile in our wake.

2. Lirene

Lirene Registered User

Sep 15, 2019
    I am sure you will be smiling together. I am praying for you both xx

3. Splashing About

Splashing About Registered User

Oct 20, 2019
    Your post made me smile. I hope you get your wish :)

4. Grannie G

Grannie G Volunteer Moderator

Apr 3, 2006
    Kent
    You sound like a wonderful character @PandA4T and your positive attitude in the face of so much to contend with is admirable.

5. Normaleila

Normaleila Registered User

Jun 4, 2016
    Hi PandA4T.
    The Tempest: "our little life is rounded with a sleep". You seem very philosophical. I hope you enjoy the time you have together. Best wishes.

6. Rosserk

Rosserk Registered User

Jul 9, 2019

Both my mum and dad have dementia he’s in a care home she’s living with me and I pray every day they go together, or that neither waits long for the other. Good luck Sir! My prayers are with you, good night and god bless to you both xx

7. AbbyGee

AbbyGee Registered User

Nov 26, 2018
    Female
    Portsmouth, South Coast
    PandA4T, my hero and sweet, sweet man. You are brave and wise and clever and caring and I applaud and love your spirit.
    I can say nothing to help but my heart swells for you.
    A xxx

8. DesperateofDevon

DesperateofDevon Registered User

Jul 7, 2019
    your deep love for each other & sense of humour has made me smile my lovely. I wish for you peace & light, together holding hands forever. Take my love for you both & god speed. Xx