R there any holidays with alzheimers?

susie-b

Sep 3, 2006
bristol
Hi

My Mum has A's and my Dad is her main carer. He would desperately like to go for a short break holiday with Mum somewhere in the Southwest of England.

I have been looking everywhere I can think of on the web to try and find somewhere which is sympathetic to the problems associated with A's but is not a care home. It is so difficult to find out information like this. Can anyone help with some suggestions/experiences please.

carol

Jun 24, 2004
Surrey/Hampshire
Hello,

There is a company called Vitalise, www.vitalise.org.uk when we enquired there was a long wait, we only enquired about Southampton but it seemed to be booked a year in advance. Alzheimers/dementia were on special weeks in Southampton for 2006, it was l week in January and l week in November, hardly likely to be holiday weather. Phone 0845 345 1970 for a brochure. I think there are 5 venues, but not sure if they all cater for alzheimers.

Carol

DickG

Feb 26, 2006
Stow-on-the-Wold
Hi Susie-b

Was your dad in the armed forces in any capacity? If so the Royal British
Legion may be able to help - they have a home in Weston Super Mare. Entitlement to help is not dependant on membership of the RBL only on service to the Crown and their local welfare officer would be able to advise.

Dick