Quite amazed!

CraftyJ

Jan 31, 2014
Bedfordshire
Evening everyone

As I wrote a few days ago, mum is at last stage of Alzheimers and over christmas had an RS Virus and was told she was very poorly indeed. With the care home being closed as many residents were ill, i hadnt seen her for a while.

I visited her today with my brother (who was visiting from overseas) and found mum sitting in the lounge in her armchair, but had nodded off. However, she woke and recognised us both immediately, smile on her face. She had drunk a cup of tea and was eating a biscuit (someone who was on pureed food and struggled with water a month ago). One carer told me she had been walking around her unit, joining in activities and much more like her old self.

I showed mum lots of photos on my iPad which helps to pass the time and watch her reactions. I had an old black/white photo of her when she was a teenager, in a dance school concert. About 30 kids in this picture, with her one of the older ones standing up at the back. I showed mum this photo, and immediately she pointed to herself! Proves that long term memory does exist.

So from a month or so ago thinking mum was not long for this planet, she seems to have survived another winter of viruses and appears to be a cat with 9 lives! It lifted my heart and spirit, for a while, but i know she is very poorly with the Alzheimers, which is a hidden disease we cant always see.

But sparks of my "real" mum are still there. Where there's life, theres hope?

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
So glad you got this special time with your mum. No matter how long this "good spell" lasts, the memories can't be taken from you now. So enjoy every moment.

Baby Bunty

Jan 24, 2018
Hi how wonderful that your mum has bouncy back from her recent illeness..i too have experienced this lately with my mum..gone from in bed hardly eat or drink..no commucation and this was on and off for 10 days..whole family thought this is it!!!..then low and be hold i visited and she was sitting up in wheelchair singing her head.xxx please cherish those lovely moments!..it certainly is a rollcoaster of emotions!!!..nine lives very true.xxxxxx

CraftyJ

Jan 31, 2014
Bedfordshire
Lady A, thank you for your comments. As Ive said on another thread, the rollercoaster syndrome still goes on. Whilst its great seeing mum better from the virus, and improving in her general overall being, its hard to forget the Alzheimers is still lurking and has my mum in its vice still. But you are right.. enjoy the good times whilst I can.

Baby Bunty - you know exactly how I feel on this angle too. Playing games with my emotions for sure. Happy to see mum better, but still heartbroken of how the Alzheimers has stopped her being able to talk with me, but thankfully her eyes light up and she laughs and tries to speak. So a lot of us are on this rollercoaster. Just wish I could get off it. Take care.

Baby Bunty

Jan 24, 2018
Hi craftyj. How is your mum?.we agian are getting mixed signals..mum was good on thursday..ate alot and drank..but from then..been in bed..refusing to eat..taking little sips!!!..how long does this go on for??..my heart is constanly in my mouth when phone rings. Its literally breaking my heart..as so so many emotions..so time is too overwhelming. I am seeing tomorrow and i honestly dont know what to expect.xxx

CraftyJ

Jan 31, 2014
Bedfordshire
Hi Baby Bunty

Mum had improved when we saw her on Sunday. Still very frail, but up and about, eating and drinking OK. The virus really had taken its toll on her but she's bounced back again. I know how you feel, just waiting for that call. Had a few like that over January when she was really poorly, but next minute, she's fine. Hence the rollercoaster effect, so know exactly what you mean.

I hope the visit this morning to your mum goes well and you have a better visit. I dread visiting mum too, horrid to say isnt it? Nobody can put a time limit on this illness... nature has to take its course and there is nothing we can do. Just stay strong and be there for her. Will be thinking of you. Take care x