Quietly coping

Lucille

Sep 10, 2005
Hello all

I haven't posted for a while as things with mum seem to have reached a bit of a hiatus (long may it continue), after our nightmare weekend in March.

For both of us, I think we are more accepting of the situation. Her that her memory is not what it was and me that reasoning with her is not an option! So, together we muddle along, me repeating things and not rising to bait she leaves for me and her muddling along and not being so argumentative.

We have actually had some laughter in the last few days. A rare event since her diagnosis. I know it won't last, this 'quiet time'. Last week she rang me and said she'd had another stroke and sounded very upset. Whilst in the past I'd have panicked and had that gut-wrenching feeling of world collapse, I listened to her and talked things through. It didn't make it right, but my blood pressure remained (more or less) the same and when I saw her she was OK. A bit cheesed off that there was nothing on telly, but otherwise fine.

I just wanted to share this with you. For newbies coming to the forum when it seems like you're going to have to climb the north face of the Eiger (you are ... but not all in one go - plus it's a bit warmer) and for the 'old hands' who have been on the path a lot longer than me and have a daily struggle. It's just that I've found a bit of peace, over the last few days anyway, and I hope you can find some too. Take time out.

I know it's a rock strewn path I tread, so I think what I'm trying to say, is I'm just jumping over some of the smaller stones at the moment. Thanks to you lot on here for sharing your experiences, I have been reading, even though I've not been participating.

No doubt soon, I'll be back again. Pulling out the last vestiges of hair I have on my head and yelling, 'help, help', but so it goes. :)

Please feel free to quote this post back to me when that time arrives! :D

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hi Lucille

Thank you for sharing a calm time. As they are thin on the ground, I`m glad you are making the most of it.

Lovely to hear from you again.

Take care, love

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Lucille said:
I just wanted to share this with you. For newbies coming to the forum when it seems like you're going to have to climb the north face of the Eiger (you are ... but not all in one go - plus it's a bit warmer) and for the 'old hands' who have been on the path a lot longer than me and have a daily struggle. It's just that I've found a bit of peace, over the last few days anyway, and I hope you can find some too. Take time out.

Thank you for the positive post, Lucille. It's true that most people post when they have a problem and need advice or support. And that's great, it's why we're here.

But it's also reassuring to realise that the progression of the disease is not all trauma, and there are quiet times, and times when we can laugh and be happy with the people we care for.

Please feel free to quote this post back to me when that time arrives! :D

We will, Lucille, we will!:D

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
So pleased to hear your update, Lucille

Been wondering where you'd got to .....

How lovely to have a 'Little voice of calm' amongst the maelstrom ...... :) Thank you!

Love Karen, x

(PS: You in the NW weekend of 20th May and need to raise your voice the cheer-leading and cappucino is still on!!!! :) Just had my reminder I've not ordered T-shirt ..... I think AS is gonna show its most fun and positive side at the event) ...

alex

Apr 10, 2006
Hi Lucille

Welcome back, its nice when the storm is over and you can see the sunshine...........even if it is short lived ;)

Love Alex x

RussellC

Jul 6, 2006
Thanks Lucille

I am reminded that we did have fun with my Dad, despite AD.

One time we had been food shopping together, getting the shopping, carrying the bags home. We began stowing the goods when I realized that the frozen stuff was missing.

Calmly I asked Dad if he had seen the frozen stuff. He said no. I looked upstairs in the bedrooms. No sign. Again gently asked Dad if he had seen the frozen stuff. He said no. Looked in the loo, on top of the wardrobes, in the back shed. A little less calmly I asked Dad if he had seen the frozen stuff because we don't want it to melt. He again said he hadn't seen it. I looked in all the kitchen cupboards, panic rising by now.

Suddenly inspiration struck. I looked in the fridge and dear Dad had neatly packed everything away. His look said "and I'm the one with Alzheimer's!!!" We both laughed.

All the best

Russell

Nell

Aug 9, 2005
Australia
Dear Lucille,
Your post reminded me of a favourite hymn which includes the words "still, small voice of calm"!! Lovely to know you are able to enjoy this for a while - long may itcontinue!!

Lucille

Sep 10, 2005
Hello friends

Thanks so much for your replies. I know when others have had some 'good news' or a bit of a bright day, it's helped me, so glad to be of service!

Russell, I laughed about your food hunt. We have had similar experiences with food; mum buying Xmas puddings (seven!!) and they weren't in the cupboard but the overloaded fridge (not too unreasonable a place, I know) but when I looked at them they were 'Memory Lane' brand. We had a good laugh about that. :D

Best wishes to all.