Quick thank you,,,

Michael E

Apr 14, 2005
Ronda Spain
'Thank you' to who ever suggested writing on a bit of paper that Monique did not know she had Alzheimer's but just a slight memory problem. Typed it out in my best french with the aid of wordspell fr. and handed it to the new male neurologist as we entered his office. He was a bit ****ed off that we were changing from the female neurologist in the same practice as it meant he had to wade thorough all the notes first....

Turned out to be a really nice man.. Was subtly doing the memory test without making it seem like it - then asked if she had children? The resulting blank from this followed by "where were they living?" No idea! Once we established we have 2 made him just give it up and not put Monique through the agony of 'failing'.... He then changed her tranquilisers to a brand he prefers and then spent some time assertaining our personal situation - any other family around and seemed to have an awareness of this forum - when I said I knew the prognosis because of visiting it daily ... or was being polite. I got the feeling he was more concerned for me than for Monique. He then dictated a letter - report - to the GP on a little dictaphone, in our presence, without using the dreaded A word and suggested we needed more backup!

That visit left Monique angry and upset and since then she does not wake/or is it get up, till around 4 in the afternoon... I felt very optimistic that the system was going to 'clock in' and give me added support.........

This visit was followed by a trip to the GP who does the monitoring - very concerned and good with her... Gave me some gentle enemas for the imagined constipation and a prescription to have a nurse in for 3 days and buckets of Lactulous which Bruce recommended a while ago... Another paper for me to get social workers in to help get her up around noon - he is concerned that monique gets used to 'strangers' in the house and not just me doing the helping bit for when things get worse.... a friendly handshake and walked to the front door...

Finding Aide Soignantes - people to help wash and dress someone is really not easy..Spent a day on the telephone and none available...Interestingly if a nurse baths and dresses Monique the state pays - if an Aide Soignantes - does it, I pay... So although there appears to be no problems over the drugs - gave me extra for when she is sad-depressed - the actual system does not seem to be any better than the UK......... time will tell.

The 'showers' are a major success.. Cost an arm and a leg and 2 months to get finished but look great and Monique has now had a shower in each one. I got fittings with a big shower head at the top and a hand shower lower down and a thermostatic control so I just switch it on and the correct temperature comes out... and she seems to take to it like a duck to .......... Not every day and not without persuasion but a major step forward.

Just felt like writing this so excuse the verbosity...

Michael

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
so excuse the verbosity
It is so good to hear your news and that in detail as well. Never worry about too many words - that definition does not exist in my phrase book! It is the short sharp messages that concern me as they are all too easily misunderstood....

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Am really pleased to hear at last the shower has been fitted

Hope you don't mind me adding

Interestingly if a nurse baths and dresses Monique the state pays
how long is that going to take ? hope your going to push for it ?

So all this time I have been on TP I did not realize ,that you was not geting any help with Monique ,No wonder the doctor was concerned for you .

I must admit that I could of got a carer for mum to wash dress her, but she did not like it, when mum get home I am going to get on in, no matter what mum says

The bit that you said about getting use to strangers being around, my mum is the same, she would drive people away. I thought I was the only one that happen to .

I felt so lonely then , not any more after being on TP & having this break from mum .

Any way congratulation on the shower & thing are moving on forward in a positive light for you :)

Lynne

Jun 3, 2005
Suffolk,England
Michael E said:
The 'showers' are a major success.. Cost an arm and a leg and 2 months to get finished but look great and Monique has now had a shower in each one. I got fittings with a big shower head at the top and a hand shower lower down and a thermostatic control so I just switch it on and the correct temperature comes out... and she seems to take to it like a duck to .......... Not every day and not without persuasion but a major step forward.

Just felt like writing this so excuse the verbosity...

Michael

Hi Michael,
great to hear/read such a positive account! You seem to have managed several steps forward, thank goodness.

Re. the showering; if you know Monique's taste in smellies, perhaps some nice shower products :)rolleyes: and the offer of applying them?)
might encourage her to indulge more often. Like with little kids, make it fun-time.

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Michael, good to know that the showers worked (if you get my drift).

Another stage, another hurdle over. Be prepared for the next one though, life has a habit of confronting us with the unexpected.

Thinking of you, as always, and sending a special {{{{HUG}}}}}

Love Connie

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
Hi Michael
so glad the shower is ok,I am so glad that we went that way and I am sure you will find it a great boon.
The Doctors sounded great,as if they were really interested and concerned for the carer.
More than I can say for some of ours.
Norman

rummy

Jul 15, 2005
Oklahoma,USA
Hi Michael,
Who would have thought a few years ago that we would feel such adulation over a bathing apparatus or in finding someone to come into the house for a little while ! I finally got my Mom and Dad to agree to take Mom to a adult day care once a week and to get a houe keeper and I was doing back flips with joy! You would have thought I won the lottery. Guess in a way I did.
Well, I am just pleased as punch for you and know this is going to make your life easier. Good going !!
We might loose the war but we can still win the little battles.
Debbie

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JL513