Quick reads

Trisha4

Jan 16, 2014
Yorkshire
This may not be relevant to others as my husband has an uncommon Alzheimer's which is based mainly on aphasia so far. He struggles to find words, has completely lost the ability to write or understand numbers although he used to be so research engineer who used excel spreadsheets at a level mere mortals could not understand and it is becoming more difficult for him to understand things. He does however still enjoy reading but reads much more slowly. This has made it quite a tedious process for him to get through the kind of novels he used to read. We have recently found the quick read series which are shorter novels written by popular authors for adults. Our library has some of the titles and has said they will order others in if we request them. I hope this might be helpful to somebody else.

Noorza

Jun 8, 2012
You may also find audio books helpful, you can access them via a carer's assessment at your local council. I am a fan as an ex mature student I could listen to them as I drove on errands rather than read but they have their uses elsewhere too.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
I have bought a few "singles" from Kindle which are short stories by the likes of Susan Hill of The Woman in Black fame. I often buy one late at night when I need something to read but don't want to launch into a whole novel. They are about 99p usually.

jimbo 111

Jan 23, 2009
North Bucks
This may not be relevant to others as my husband has an uncommon Alzheimer's which is based mainly on aphasia so far. He struggles to find words, has completely lost the ability to write or understand numbers although he used to be so research engineer who used excel spreadsheets at a level mere mortals could not understand and it is becoming more difficult for him to understand things. He does however still enjoy reading but reads much more slowly. This has made it quite a tedious process for him to get through the kind of novels he used to read. We have recently found the quick read series which are shorter novels written by popular authors for adults. Our library has some of the titles and has said they will order others in if we request them. I hope this might be helpful to somebody else.[/QUOTE

Hello Trisha
You post has some relevance on my own situation ( though in different circumstances
I do not have dementia , but my love in reading was being seriously curtailed
through bad eyesight
I think I must have read every large print book in the library
then my sons bought me a Kindle
Point one with a kindle you can adjust the font size to suit your self
There are thousands of books available on kindle , many of them free or less than £1

Whilst I prefer the fiction longer books , I notice they have many books of 100pages or less both fiction and non fiction
My enjoyment in reading was very much re-kindled ( forgive the pun()_
and now I would not be without it
You may find I worth a try
jmbo111

Last edited:

Trisha4

Jan 16, 2014
Yorkshire
Thanks for comments I have thought of a kindle as I actually have one but I don't think Mick would be comfortable using it. He would become anxious about how to use it.

Oxy

Jul 19, 2014
rNIB daisy player is great and when you turn it off it resumes from last place BUT if you forget story just wanders on. If not at that point yet, other good points are that you can alter vol and tone(eg if hearing loss worse at certain frequencies) and the speed of talking if cognitive processes are slower for example. However it does have the prerequisite that you remember what has gone before!!!!

Oxy

Jul 19, 2014
Forgot. Have found books good where each chapter is independent of each other. So each like its own story. So can be enjoyed in one fell swoop in the moments example :doctors notes by Dr Rosemary Leonard and she wrote another one too. Stories ie each chapter is funny at times and gives a health message too.
I read a couple of quick reads as I pre read them before presenting them and they weren't so good. Put it that way, one seemed to focus on people who have turned their life around after conquering inability to read. You need empathy I think to appreciate it. Other one was written by somebody who made money through auctions which is irrelevant to someone who doesn't leave the house much. Will try others before I put idea aside permanently. Will see what library has to offer. World according to Bob by James Bowen and his first book were a success.