1. Expert Q&A: Benefits - Weds 23 October, 3-4pm

Our next expert Q&A will be on the topic of benefits. It will be hosted by Lauren from our Knowledge Services team. She'll be answering your questions on Wednesday 23 October between 3-4pm.

You can either post your question >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll be happy to ask them on your behalf.

Quick question about incontinence.....

Discussion in 'I care for a person with dementia' started by piph, Feb 21, 2015.

1. piph

piph Registered User

Feb 4, 2013
    Northamptonshire
    I have discovered that the heavy smell of stale urine in mum's bungalow is coming not from her as we first thought, but from used incontinence pads that mum is hiding/hoarding! :eek: I've found them in her wardrobe, in her paper basket, in the cupboard under the basin in the bathroom, and even just lying beside the basin!

I've decided to get her some fragranced nappy bags in the hope that she will put them inside when she takes them off, but how can I get her to put them in the bathroom bin (if she'll do that I can get her morning carer to empty it every day). What I was wondering is whether anybody knows whether there is a bin especially made for this purpose available on the market?

2. sleepless

sleepless Registered User

Feb 19, 2010
    Female
    The Sweet North
    I would think that a small plastic fliptop/swingtop kitchen bin would be adequate.
    The problem is how to encourage your mum to use it. It can be difficult for a person with dementia to learn new routines.
    Ordinary nappy bags if tied properly keep the odour inside, but I think if you can persuade her to use a bin it might be useful to use scented bin liners/nappy bags in the bin itself.
    Good luck anyway.

3. Adcat

Adcat Registered User

Jun 15, 2014
    London
    Ooh, the smell of old dried urine is so horrid isn't it! From my experiences I wouldn't even try to get your mother to use the bags. My dad will hoard used socks, underpants vests and trousers in his wardrobe, stuffing them behind the radiators and behind the drawers of his bedside cupboard. I think he is so embarrassed that he soils them. In the begining I got a lovely laundrey basket for him but he is not interested. Far from a laundrey basket he was brought up! Consequently I check out the hoarding places every morning. Also, my nose is on high alert for ammonia like smells. Perhaps you could ask the carer to check out the hiding places you have discovered.
    I hope this is useful.
    Take care.

4. AlsoConfused

AlsoConfused Registered User

Sep 17, 2010
    I agree with the other posters. We have a bin in the loo, bought specifically so Mum (and anyone else caring for her) could put used pads in it. The bin was used sometimes at the beginning ... but most pads were hidden elsewhere (or washed and left to dry!).

5. piph

piph Registered User

Feb 4, 2013
    Northamptonshire
    Thanks. Have found a bin that seals the pads itself, but it would be quite expensive to buy the refill liners. Think I'm going to try the nappy bag solution first, and also get the carer to check every day in the hiding places - belt and braces may do the trick I hope!

6. Bod

Bod Registered User

Aug 30, 2013
    As a press reporter once said "I counted them out, and I counted them back".
    Ensure you know how many pads are being used, and account for them all!

Bod

7. piph

piph Registered User

Feb 4, 2013
    Northamptonshire
    Unfortunately that isn't possible as I don't live with Mum 24/7 and she'snot yet at the stage where I have to supervise. Even if I wanted too, she wouldn't allow it! If that were the case then there wouldn't be a problem asI'd be the one disposing of them, not her

8. Wildlife

Wildlife Registered User

Jun 19, 2012
    Sheffield
    You can buy bags which are slightly bigger & more substantial than nappy sacks at a well known supermarket beginning with S. (They are the only one I've found that sells them). Still not much use if your Mum won't use them I suppose.