Quick Care Home Personal Care Question

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
Thank you - he finally was changed at 8.30pm - 3 and a half hours after I requested a change for him! If I'd have known it would be that long I would have kicked up a bigger stink earlier, but it's that thing that you keep thinking oh, they must be coming any minute now. And I told 3 different people and they all said they'd send carers to change him so I kept being lulled into thinking it would happen. Urgh.

Thanks for listening xxx
It’s not fair, these are meant to be professional carers !

(((((((Hugs)))))))

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
This sounds an absolute shambles Kay, it's really unacceptable. Please don't think all care homes are like this - they really aren't.

Negative as these experiences are, it will mean you know what to look for, and what questions to ask, if you seek out a different care home for more respite or a full time placement for your dad.

Kay111

Sep 19, 2019
@DesperateofDevon it really isn't! I feel so despairing! @Sirena - I feel so guilty as I went round a few CH and I chose this one. And now Dad is having a rotten time and mum has been put off the idea of CHs in future. I did my research and when I visited here and spoke to people I had such a good vibe about this place but things have been appalling in reality. How can anyone tell what anywhere's going to be like?

Is it generally thought that a small care home is better than a big one? Might there be something in that?

This place is chronically understaffed so the staff aren't patient and a lot of them are agency workers so it's a continuing carousel of new faces. it's dreadful. There are one or two who are really good but I've only seen them a couple of times, so frustrating!

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
How can anyone tell what anywhere's going to be like? Is it generally thought that a small care home is better than a big one? Might there be something in that?

Choosing a care home is a real minefield, no matter how much you check them out thoroughly, read reviews, ask other relatives etc. so you shouldn't feel guilty. My Mum has been in 3 care homes in the last 18 months - small and large - and I wouldn't say that the actual size of the home makes any difference. All sorts of factors such as how the staff care for residents, staffing levels, how the home is managed, make a difference and it seems that most on here have encountered some sort of problem with care homes. The home that Mum is in now is the best out of the 3 she's been in but I still have to keep on top of things that are going on there, and they've had quite a lot of agency workers there recently although there are also some long standing staff who are very good and I've made a point of getting to know them. How did your chat with the customer service manager go? Are they going to act on your feedback?

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
@DesperateofDevon it really isn't! I feel so despairing! @Sirena - I feel so guilty as I went round a few CH and I chose this one. And now Dad is having a rotten time and mum has been put off the idea of CHs in future. I did my research and when I visited here and spoke to people I had such a good vibe about this place but things have been appalling in reality. How can anyone tell what anywhere's going to be like?

Is it generally thought that a small care home is better than a big one? Might there be something in that?

This place is chronically understaffed so the staff aren't patient and a lot of them are agency workers so it's a continuing carousel of new faces. it's dreadful. There are one or two who are really good but I've only seen them a couple of times, so frustrating!
Dad is in a residential home of 32.That is the maximum I would say.
Care homes are always understaffed due to minimum wage.
There are no numbers of staff allocated to care homes unlike children nursery’s which are 1 adult to 5 children I believe.Or at least it was..
Anyway does your dad have a keyworker whilst he is in respite??
They are responsible to make sure he has enough of everything and that he has a bath..
If not,then you need to find out who is responsible for him on that shift.
Carers are allocated about 7 or 8 people on each shift.So you need to find out.I know that you shouldn’t have to but it will give you peace of mind
Also,go to the Deputy Manager /Manager and raise your concerns..Always document.
Fortunately dad is in a home where I worked so the carers know me..
Plus dad went for daycare beforehand.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Dad's GP thought highly of the manager at the carehome he was in. I didn't think of asking the GP's opinion but it did help me decide to keep dad there.

His home had 21 rooms, none shared and although the décor was shabby the care was brilliant. Staff were always around and there was a low staff turnover. It was a happy place.

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West

I've spotted a similar issue in mums care home re staffing. Luckily the agency are split up with regular CH staff so that helps. I know they are recruting and it seems to be a problem in retaining good staff in a lot of care homes. But the manager is aware of it and she knows what go's on at times

I thought this might help, its written for managers, but useful to look at so that you have an idea of what you should be able to expect. Hope it helps

https://www.skillsforcare.org.uk/Do...ion/CQC/Safe-staffing/Safe-staffing-guide.pdf

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
@Sirena - I feel so guilty as I went round a few CH and I chose this one. And now Dad is having a rotten time and mum has been put off the idea of CHs in future. I did my research and when I visited here and spoke to people I had such a good vibe about this place but things have been appalling in reality. How can anyone tell what anywhere's going to be like?

It is such a shame this hasn't turned out as you hoped, but that is not your fault, you did your best, and you are now better equipped to ask the right questions.

I looked on carehome.co.uk and really scrutinised the reviews for comments on what was important - the care. I then went by the 'vibe' when I walked in - it felt welcoming, the carers and managers were cheerful. The residents seemed content, no one was stressed or calling for anything, they all looked clean and nicely dressed. No smell of wee! It was a bit shabby but it felt homely.

I don't know if smaller CHs are better - possibly. At my mother's CH there are about 40 residents, so the carers know each PWD individually. There is a core of long term staff supported by shorter term/agency carers, and even the temps all seem well briefed and interested in the residents. The CH is independently owned, not part of a chain, and the manager and owner are very approachable. Having heard tales of other CHs on here, I know I struck lucky.