Questions & Worries

Crispycritter

Aug 10, 2015
My mom is 89 years young and about year ago she started losing her short term memory. At this point her short term memory is gone. She was having mood swings and outbursts with hallucinations. I explained to her MD that this was going on and he prescribed Aricept which has helped with the mood swings and outbursts/hallucinations.

About a year ago I had a CT Scan of my brain and it showed some Frontal Lobe Atrophy. I'm afraid that I'll get Alzheimer's Dementia also. I'm 55, & I'm a Nurse. I can't imagine not being able to remember &/or learn the new things to continue caring for my patient's. Does anyone know if there is a direct correlation between Frontal Lobe Atrophy and Alzheimer's Dementia?

Skyrim

Jun 19, 2015
Questions, worries.....and more questions....

Crispycritter...hello and welcome to TP. It sounds to me as though something else is stressing you and you're focussing on this not very pleasant disgnosis from a year ago and looking for reassurance. Please go back to your G.P or consultant and tell them your fears and get some good, professional medical advice. There's lots of information out there but you need something thatrelates solely to you. I have worked with people with dementia for several years and, unlike my current role in mental health, there has never been a professional discussion as to why the clients developed dementia and in which form (unlike mental health where several categories of patient have some very clear causes sadly.
Worry and anxiety could be your immediate health risks, no-one knows the future, so please try to settle your mind with authoritative advice. I do feel for you...I had a similar diagnosis some years ago and I simply try to live a bealthier lifestyle in the hooe that it will combat all sorts of horrid older-age ailments. Get to the medics and ask!

Crispycritter

Aug 10, 2015
Thanks so much for the factsheet: it gave me a general understanding of Frontotemperal lobe Dementia. I think I need to talk to my GP with my concerns.

Crispycritter

Aug 10, 2015
Hello from crispycritter

Crispycritter...hello and welcome to TP. It sounds to me as though something else is stressing you and you're focussing on this not very pleasant disgnosis from a year ago and looking for reassurance. Please go back to your G.P or consultant and tell them your fears and get some good, professional medical advice. There's lots of information out there but you need something thatrelates solely to you. I have worked with people with dementia for several years and, unlike my current role in mental health, there has never been a professional discussion as to why the clients developed dementia and in which form (unlike mental health where several categories of patient have some very clear causes sadly.
Worry and anxiety could be your immediate health risks, no-one knows the future, so please try to settle your mind with authoritative advice. I do feel for you...I had a similar diagnosis some years ago and I simply try to live a bealthier lifestyle in the hooe that it will combat all sorts of horrid older-age ailments. Get to the medics and ask!

Hello Skyrim, Thanks so much for your feedback. I have made an appointment with my GP and also my Psychiatrist. I have suffered from depression for over 25 years. I guess I do have lots of questions.