1. Expert Q&A: Living well as a carer - Thurs 29 August, 3-4pm

As a carer for a person living with dementia, the needs of the person you care for will often come before your own. You may experience a range of difficult emotions and you may not have the time to do all the things you need to do. Caring can have a big impact on both your mental and physical health, as well as your overall wellbeing.

Angelo, our Knowledge Officer (Wellbeing) is our expert on this topic. He will be here to answer your questions on Thursday 29 August between 3-4pm.

You can either post questions >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll answer as many as we can on the day.

Questions to ask re long term future and funding

Discussion in 'Legal and financial issues' started by ArgyBargy24, Aug 11, 2019.

1. ArgyBargy24

ArgyBargy24 Registered User

Jul 28, 2019
    Female
    West Midlands
    My mom with possible vascular dementia was discharged from hospital on Friday and admitted to a 'step-down bed' in a local care home. A meeting is taking place on Thursday with myself, my dad, social worker, person from hospital discharge team and person from older persons' mental health team, focusing on the what will happen with mom in the future and also funding. Any questions I should be asking or things I might need to know/bear in mind?

2. nitram

nitram Registered User

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    North Manchester
    It's a welcome change to hear that the meeting has been called rather than you mom just being discharged from hospital to home.

Hopefully you will be able to come to a consensus as to whether she should return home or move into assisted living/care home.

Funding depends on her assets, whilst dad lives in their house its value will be disregarded.

3. ArgyBargy24

Jul 28, 2019
    Female
    West Midlands
    Thanks for your reply. It was already decided whilst mom was in hospital between older person's mental health, ward staff, dad and myself that mom would be going into a home based on their assessments and dad's and my views on mom's situation. Dad still lives in house, so no problem there. Mom has no assets other than a reduced rate state pension, so the question, according to discharge nurse is whether NHS will continue to fund mom as it's currently a short term placement funded by NHS, or whether social care will pick up up tab in the long term.

4. nitram

nitram Registered User

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    North Manchester
    The short free placement is likely to be reablement https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/socia...ter-illness-or-hospital-discharge-reablement/ which is designed to get a person back to where they where before an acute event.

There should be a formal checklist https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/nhs-continuing-healthcare-checklist performed to asses care needs and whether the NHS will fully pay for care (CHC), pay towards nursing in a nurse home (FNC) or not contribute. The bar is set very high for CHC.

The decision made in hospital may have been made using the checklist.

You need to arrange both a needs and a financial assessment with the LA https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/socia...its/when-the-council-might-pay-for-your-care/

5. ArgyBargy24

Jul 28, 2019
    Female
    West Midlands

6. ArgyBargy24

Jul 28, 2019
    Female
    West Midlands

7. Dodie

Dodie Registered User