Questions about PoA

Carmenjane

Mar 17, 2022
I have both health and finance powers of attorney for my OH, who is in a care home. I didn't realise these had to be registered with banks and other organisations, but I managed to do it with his bank without too much trouble and I am in the process of informing other organisations. These are my questions:
Should I register the health PoA and if so with whom?
Is the health PoA sufficient for me to sign a DNR?
What would happen if I died before him or became incapacitated myself? I am the sole attorney for OH - there isn't really anybody else. His ex-wife, with whom we are both friendly, is 82 herself, albeit fit and healthy. He is estranged from his only daughter. All our friends are elderly themselves. And in any case, can I add an attorney at this stage? I couldn't start again because OH has now lost capacity.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello @Carmenjane

I am unable to answer your questions but a call to the helpline should be able to answer thenm for you.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Should I register the health PoA and if so with whom?
The GP and care home should have copies.

Is the health PoA sufficient for me to sign a DNR?
What is in the health LPA (older versions are slightly different)
2022-05-14_095243 (Medium).png

What would happen if I died before him or became incapacitated myself? I am the sole attorney for OH - there isn't really anybody else. His ex-wife, with whom we are both friendly, is 82 herself, albeit fit and healthy. He is estranged from his only daughter. All our friends are elderly themselves. And in any case, can I add an attorney at this stage? I couldn't start again because OH has now lost capacity.
Attorneys cannot be added, somebody would have to apply for deputyship.

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
You cannot add anyone.only the donor can, so that ship has sailed.

As far as I remember you dont sign a DNR. Mums Dr discussed it with me when it was appropriate, I dont remember signing anything. I was her POA, but again, dont recall him asking if i was.Just her nearest & dearest

Violet Jane

Aug 23, 2021
I would register the health PoA with the home, his GP practice and any hospital department that your husband is under.

Regarding the DNR, this is a decision that the doctors make but they are supposed to consult the patient or next of kin. I was asked about DNRs and treatment when my mother moved into her care home and I said that I did not want her to be resuscitated or to have any invasive treatment and this was recorded in her notes at the home. My siblings and I had the old EPA but they weren't consulted. This was nearly10 years ago.

MartinWL

Jun 12, 2020
London
You are doing the right thing by registering the finance POA with every financial body you can think of. Don't forget things like utilities if in his name.

The health POA should be registered with his GP and I suppose any other health are provider who is involved in his care. When you will want it is unpredictable. I keep a copy of my dad's health POA to hand for sudden emergency and do not travel without it. The NHS isn't very joined up so you cannot just register it once to cover the whole monolith.

When you die, or he dies, both powers of attorney cease to exist immediately. It is a dilemma for many of us. A weakness in the system. Like you I am sole attorney, in my case for my father. If I were abducted by aliens or became very ill he would have to be cared for by social services.

An attorney cannot appoint additional attornies. There is no way for me to make any provision for his care in the event that I was to predecease him. The only option would be the absurd step of getting someone else to apply for deputyship but that would mean me giving up POA so I would only do that if given a terminal diagnosis myself.

We are in the same situation of having no available family to potentially take over. I can only say take care of yourself!

Carmenjane

Mar 17, 2022
You are doing the right thing by registering the finance POA with every financial body you can think of. Don't forget things like utilities if in his name.

The health POA should be registered with his GP and I suppose any other health are provider who is involved in his care. When you will want it is unpredictable. I keep a copy of my dad's health POA to hand for sudden emergency and do not travel without it. The NHS isn't very joined up so you cannot just register it once to cover the whole monolith.

When you die, or he dies, both powers of attorney cease to exist immediately. It is a dilemma for many of us. A weakness in the system. Like you I am sole attorney, in my case for my father. If I were abducted by aliens or became very ill he would have to be cared for by social services.

An attorney cannot appoint additional attornies. There is no way for me to make any provision for his care in the event that I was to predecease him. The only option would be the absurd step of getting someone else to apply for deputyship but that would mean me giving up POA so I would only do that if given a terminal diagnosis myself.

We are in the same situation of having no available family to potentially take over. I can only say take care of yourself!
Thank you for that, it is as I suspected. Oh well, I will watch out for aliens.

Carmenjane

Mar 17, 2022
I would register the health PoA with the home, his GP practice and any hospital department that your husband is under.

Regarding the DNR, this is a decision that the doctors make but they are supposed to consult the patient or next of kin. I was asked about DNRs and treatment when my mother moved into her care home and I said that I did not want her to be resuscitated or to have any invasive treatment and this was recorded in her notes at the home. My siblings and I had the old EPA but they weren't consulted. This was nearly10 years ago.
Thank you, I hadn't thought of all the different hospital departments he's under.

Carmenjane

Mar 17, 2022
Thanks to everybody for their responses, they are all very helpful and a reminder if I needed it of what a valuable resource this forum is.

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
I was asked about DNR on my mum's last hospital visit in Jan 2020.

When she moved into a care home and I found the DNR with the care notes. It travelled home from hospital with her. I took it to the care home and they put it on her file that day ie day she moved.

I understand it should travel with her if she goes to hospital. Check with the care home if they want to put one on his records. My mum is frail so I was pleased the hospital sorted it out.

Moggymad

May 12, 2017
I understand it should travel with her if she goes to hospital. Check with the care home if they want to put one on his records. My mum is frail so I was pleased the hospital sorted it out.
This is true. I remember one time mum needed to go for an X-ray following a fall & an ambulance was called to the care home by the GP to take mum to hospital. Mum had gone into a sort of unconscious like state & the ambulance people wouldn’t go without seeing the DNR. On route she ‘woke’ up much to everyone’s relief! In the hurry of getting mum in the ambulance we forgot to bring the DNR with us & someone from the home was despatched to the hospital with her notes.