Questions about new diagnosis

Sasperilla

Aug 17, 2020
Hi folks, I am completely new to this so bear with me if these are ‘old questions’. It’s been clear that my Dad (80) has had memory problems for a while. His Partner arranged an assessment (with the GP I think) where he took the Addenbrookes and scored 75/100. A nurse from the memory clinic came to the house to say That he had a diagnosis of vascular dementia/Alzheimer’s. This was partly because 20 or so years ago, he had a blocked carotid artery which was cleared out. When I asked if further tests would be done, she said no. My first question is whether it is normal to get a diagnosis based only on cog tests (we’re in Scotland).on the basis of this the DVLA has been informed that further investigations are being carried out, although it seems like there will only be a follow up in 3 months.
He’s been offered Donezepilor Memantane. Does anyone have knowledge/experience of these in terms of efficacy/side effects? Thanks in advance for any advice.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @Sasperilla and welcome to the forum.

In my experience tests are undertaken until a diagnosis is made so what you have been told may be correct. My wife's tests were very much guided by her cognitive test scores, my reporting of behaviour and the Consultants views.

My wife was prescribed Donepezil and Memantine as soon as she was diagnosed and she has done well on them. These meds slow the progression of the dementia but don't stop it. Not everyone can tolerate the meds or get a good effect from them.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
By the way, I hope you have time to take a good look around the site as it is a goldmine for information. When I first joined I read old threads for information but then found the AS Publications list and the page where a post code search can be done to check for support services in ones own area. If you are interested in these, clicking the following links will take you there

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-support/publications-factsheets-full-list

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/find-support-near-you

You will see that there are Factsheets that will help with things like getting care needs assessments, deciding the level of care required and sorting out useful things like Wills, Power of Attorney etc., if any of that hasn't already been done. There is also a Dementia Guide in the list.

Now that you have found us I hope you will keep posting as the membership has vast collective knowledge and experience.

WeeDido

Feb 24, 2020
west of scotland
Hi folks, I am completely new to this so bear with me if these are ‘old questions’. It’s been clear that my Dad (80) has had memory problems for a while. His Partner arranged an assessment (with the GP I think) where he took the Addenbrookes and scored 75/100. A nurse from the memory clinic came to the house to say That he had a diagnosis of vascular dementia/Alzheimer’s. This was partly because 20 or so years ago, he had a blocked carotid artery which was cleared out. When I asked if further tests would be done, she said no. My first question is whether it is normal to get a diagnosis based only on cog tests (we’re in Scotland).on the basis of this the DVLA has been informed that further investigations are being carried out, although it seems like there will only be a follow up in 3 months.
He’s been offered Donezepilor Memantane. Does anyone have knowledge/experience of these in terms of efficacy/side effects? Thanks in advance for any advice.
Hello @Sasperilla My husband was diagnosed with vascular dementia in March 2019. Firstly he had a mini cognitive test by his GP who then sent him to a memory clinic for a more inclusive test, which came back positive for vasc dem. We are also in Scotland and there was no mention of a head scan(as sometimes the norm in other parts) perhaps it depends on your local health board. My husband was fortunate though to have monthly visits to the house from a lovely CPN. This May the physcriatic doctor even phoned to do a telephone check up and wants a face to face with husband sometime in the autumn They've been really marvelous My husbands been on memantine since his diagnosis but can only tolerate the very lowest dose (half a tablet nightly) higher doses were upsetting his tummy too much. He's never been considered for donepazil. Take care and keep postings any queries that you have. Someone's always here to help and guide.

Sasperilla

Aug 17, 2020
Hello @Sasperilla and welcome to the forum.

In my experience tests are undertaken until a diagnosis is made so what you have been told may be correct. My wife's tests were very much guided by her cognitive test scores, my reporting of behaviour and the Consultants views.

My wife was prescribed Donepezil and Memantine as soon as she was diagnosed and she has done well on them. These meds slow the progression of the dementia but don't stop it. Not everyone can tolerate the meds or get a good effect from them.
Thanks for this! Sorry to take over a year to reply!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
old ginger