Question re treatment

dtrinlaw

May 13, 2007
My mother in law has recently been diagnosed with alzheimers. The doctor said that he would not prescribe any drugs as group therapy is just as effective..

I do not know anything about alzheimers and would appreciate other peoples views on this

thank you

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
First of all, welcome to TP.

Are you in the UK? I ask because NICE guidelines now preclude giving AD medication to people in the early stages. However, although these drugs may not be effective for everyone, I have never, repeat never, heard a medical professional claim that group therapy is a subsitute. If you're in the UK, it may be all he can offer on the NHS, but that's not the same thing at all. If you're elsewhere in the world, I would suggest finding a doctor that is more in tune with current prescribing practices for AD.

It is fair to say that the medications that are available for AD (see this fact sheet) http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/After_diagnosis/Treatments/info_drugs.htm may not be effective for everyone. Also there are other medications that may be used for specific symptoms (such as paranoia or depression). I'm not saying that group therapy (or simply social groups) might not be effective at least in the early stages to allay the natural fears and depression that your MIL might be prone to, but to suggest them as treatment seems to be more than a little odd.

Best wishes

Jennifer
PS. The factsheets are a mine of information about all aspects of dementia. If you look at the top left of any forum page you'll see an i Factsheet link.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hi dtrinlaw,

You`re in a difficult position when you`re unhappy about a doctor`s advice, or uncertain whether or not his/her advice is the best.

As I have no medical training I cannot advise, but if I were unhappy with a doctor`s opinion, I would ask for a referral for a second opinion. It is everyone`s right to do that.

Please let us know how you get on.

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
he doctor said that he would not prescribe any drugs as group therapy is just as effective.

Who? How? Was your mother in law diagnosed with AZ ?

I would of thought that your doctor would of done a referral to the elderly memory clinic, where a consultant would of talk to you both about medication.

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
dtrinlaw said:
My mother in law has recently been diagnosed with alzheimers. The doctor said that he would not prescribe any drugs as group therapy is just as effective..

Hi dtrinlaw

If your mother-in law has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's, I'm surprised that she hasn't been referred to a consultant. GPs do not normally decide whether AD medication is appropriate.

My first suggestion would be to ring your local branch of Alzheimer's Society in the morning. You will find them very helpful and sympathetic, and may be able to suggest what your next move should be.

Give them a try, and let us know how you get on.

Good luck,

Kathleen

Mar 12, 2005
West Sussex
Mum was on medication when she was first diagnosed with AD, it made a big difference to her quality of life for well over a year.

I have tried really hard to imagine how any kind of group therapy would have had the same effect on her, but I can't think of any.

Is depression a factor with your mother in law?

I understand group therapy can help with that sometimes...........but alongside medication.

I agree with others, it might be an idea to ask the doctor who made the decision a few questions to put your mind at rest.

Kathleen