Question re care home fees - Scotland

Dearie Me

Feb 2, 2012
Scotland
I am wondering if someone with more experience than me can give me some advice. Briefly mum moved into a local care home last autumn. This home was where she had attended daycare and had respite care, and we were encouraged by her care manager to apply for a permanent place.

As soon as she moved in we put her flat up for sale, but due to local market conditions it hasn't sold yet despite pricing it realistically. For the first few months we paid the full weekly rate to the home, but we have just had a financial assessment by social work. This highlighted that there should have been a 12 week disregard because of the unsold property, and also that because mum's savings are low (now at around £12,000) the local council will pay the fees meantime, with a charge over the property. Mum will contribute her pensions minus her personal allowance.

However, they will pay up to the lower amount of just over £500 per week. We had been paying over £800. What happens to the other £300 or so? Do the home take another charge over the property? Mum has no way of paying more at the moment. Help!

Thank you

Pete R

Jul 26, 2014
Staffs
I am wondering if someone with more experience than me can give me some advice. Briefly mum moved into a local care home last autumn. This home was where she had attended daycare and had respite care, and we were encouraged by her care manager to apply for a permanent place.

As soon as she moved in we put her flat up for sale, but due to local market conditions it hasn't sold yet despite pricing it realistically. For the first few months we paid the full weekly rate to the home, but we have just had a financial assessment by social work. This highlighted that there should have been a 12 week disregard because of the unsold property, and also that because mum's savings are low (now at around £12,000) the local council will pay the fees meantime, with a charge over the property. Mum will contribute her pensions minus her personal allowance.

However, they will pay up to the lower amount of just over £500 per week. We had been paying over £800. What happens to the other £300 or so? Do the home take another charge over the property? Mum has no way of paying more at the moment. Help!

Thank you

Forgive me if I am worong but I believe the property side of care in Scotland is similar to England. The LA should pay the whole bill till the capital, which includes the value of the house, falls to the lower limit.

You should be able to work out roughly how long that will last. When it runs out they will probably ask someone to pay the "top up" or find another home for your Mum within their budget or keep her where she is and continue paying.

They should also pay for the period of the 12 weeks disregard and hopefully you will get what you paid back.

Hope that helps. :)

http://www.careinfoscotland.co.uk/how-do-i-pay-for-care/paying-care-home-fees.aspx