Question on Incontinence Products

Stimpfig

Oct 15, 2005
Germany/India
Hi again

Mum has had a couple of accidents of late in that she was too groggy in the morning to locate the toilet and assumed the wrong place to be the toilet.:eek: She is not particularly incontinent as yet but I thought it might be a good idea to look for suitable products to manage incontinence and accidents.

Delving into past posts on this, I came across the Alz. Society's link posted by Nada on the subject, which in turn had another link for incontinence products. Here is the link
http://www.continence-foundation.org.uk

Just wanted to know if anyone has used the hand held urinals for women (see
http://www.continence-foundation.org.uk/products/hand-held-urinals.php) and wanted to know if they are indeed useful and practical and worth the investment.

Secondly, wanted to know what is the best absorbency of pads including bed pads ? How much can the best pad accommodate - half a litre, 1 litre ? Does anyone know exactly?

Yes, you guessed it. I am new to this and would welcome any advice and tips, particularly w.r.t. the two questions.

Thanks for helping me out :)

Last edited:

pammy14

Dec 5, 2005
leicestershire
if you go through the district nurse you will get all the incontinence pads supplied to you and in different absorbancies(os that spelt correctly).

does this help

Amy

Jan 4, 2006
For the extra absorbent pads the nurse has to refer you to the Incontinency team in our area.
Amy

Stimpfig

Oct 15, 2005
Germany/India
Hi Noelphobic

You are right. I live in Germany but my mum is not covered by the normal insurance as she is on a special dependent visa - we are not citizens. I pay for all her expenses and therefore, I put the question in order to make sure I invest in the right products. However, it seems like no one has used these products. So I will give it a try and let you all know if it's a satisfactory solution :)

sam.p

Apr 1, 2006
Hampshire
Inco pads

I spent a short time as a nurse working on the district and was responsible for Inco assessments; if you can give me some more details I may be able to help you, but here's some information in the interim:

You may consider inco sheets, these come as disposable plastic backed which I think work out quite expensive, or, there are washable sheets which are used for toilet training children. Don't take this as insulting, the childrens sheets have a breathable backing which reduces night sweating. The disposables in my experience tend to disintegrate if they are made too wet; you are left with lumpy fibres and a plastic sheet.

The largest size inco pad (nappy shaped) cost the NHS 87p each, however I don't know how much they will cost you. The commercial pads sold in supermarkets are for small leaks only and will be a waste if we are talking about a total void. You need to sort of estimate the amount of urine.

Do not rule out the use of nappies, if you buy the largest size these may suffice, and will be much cheaper.

Be careful with your approach to your mum, these are practical suggestions and are not meant to insult or be an affront to dignity.
Best of luck
Sam

Stimpfig

Oct 15, 2005
Germany/India
Hi Sam

Thank you for your suggestions.
The disposables in my experience tend to disintegrate if they are made too wet; you are left with lumpy fibres and a plastic sheet.

I am glad you told me. No point investing there then.

The largest size inco pad (nappy shaped) cost the NHS 87p each, however I don't know how much they will cost you. The commercial pads sold in supermarkets are for small leaks only and will be a waste if we are talking about a total void. You need to sort of estimate the amount of urine.

I just found something on ebay - Incontinence underpants with absorption capacity of upto 4. 1 litres. I can't believe it. Here is the link but in German (I live in Germany).
http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=MERC_VI_ReBay_Pr4_PcY_BIN_Stores_IT

Do not rule out the use of nappies, if you buy the largest size these may suffice, and will be much cheaper.

Glad you told me - will keep this in mind. My mum is not incontinent yet but has had some accidents and so I just want to prepare myself.
Be careful with your approach to your mum, these are practical suggestions and are not meant to insult or be an affront to dignity.

No worries here! As long as it's me who's doing all this, she doesn't mind at all but if it's someone else, she will raise a hue and cry!Best of luck
Sam
[/QUOTE]

Thanks again.:)

Last edited: