Question about Power of Attorney

josephinewilson

May 19, 2015
Lancashire
I've completed the forms for financial power of attorney - registered it online, printed off the registration form and am going to post it off tomorrow. My question is - when that is done (apparently the forms have to be officially stamped) does that mean I have power of attorney immediately if my mother is agreeable? And so how does that work in terms of -say - telling a bank so I can look after her account? Are there any restrictions on what I can and can't do? For example,my mother has willingly given up her bank card for me to withdraw her money from a cash machine as it's convenient for her. I read somewhere that if you have power of attorney you can't take money out of a cash machine with their bank card ?
Thanks for any advice.

jan.s

Sep 20, 2011
Hi there. I believe you have to wait until then POA has been registered before it comes into force, i.e. you receive the stamped copy back from the OPG.

I had POA for my husband and never had a problem getting money out, in fact I used his account as normal. I believe there are some banks though that have different rules.

Hope this helps.

Bod

Aug 30, 2013
Contact the bank, ask what their procedure is for registering the PoA with them.
When the documents are returned from the Office of the Public Guardian, they will all have "validated" perforated on each page. The bank will need to see and copy each page!
Once the bank is happy, you will have full access to the accounts.

Bod

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
If you tell the bank about the POA they will change the account to a deputy account and you will get a card and cheque book in your name so that you can use that.

Grable

May 19, 2015
This was a question I was going to ask, too. It's taking a long while to get the POA in force, but we've been notified that it should be with us next week.
I have a further question, though .... My mother lives 200 miles away, and I'm controlling her accounts online at the moment. Do I need to take the Power of Attorney into her own branch, or can it be done in any branch. Or, indeed, does it need to be sent off somewhere?

mrs mcgonnagal

May 9, 2015
I have just done this at my mams bank. You take the validated poa, ID like passport and proof of address for yourself and the person, and they copy to their team at head office. Then you can get a bank card and pin issued in your name for the person's account, and set up security so you can buy things for them etc without risking unauthorized use of their card. Also, I asked them to put a note on transactions in the branch on the computer just to make sure its clear what they are, for the records.

camkam

Jul 20, 2015
This was a question I was going to ask, too. It's taking a long while to get the POA in force, but we've been notified that it should be with us next week.
I have a further question, though .... My mother lives 200 miles away, and I'm controlling her accounts online at the moment. Do I need to take the Power of Attorney into her own branch, or can it be done in any branch. Or, indeed, does it need to be sent off somewhere?

Hi, how does your mother get cash if you manage her accounts? I'm trying to sort this out for my mum who lives 200 miles away from me, but her pension is paid into a Post office account that she can only draw cash on and she can't get into the town centre to her bank so at the moment she's drawing cash and paying all her bills at the post office and she's becoming very confused by it all.

beverrino

Jan 12, 2015
I have POA on my mums bank accounts. As we use the same bank it worked out easier - on the forms it was asked if I required cheque book/ debit card. I selected both. It was a pretty straightforward process, with me having a separate debit card and cheque book - as they are in my name it is easy to monitor the transactions, while she retains her own card/ cheque book.

He accounts were then simply added to my own online banking so I can monitor the account activity. I also removed paper statements and all banking mail comes direct to me - allowing full control, without the need to remove her own card from her.

I control her actual cash flow (as my dad did before he died) and I ensure I document all of my activity and she is happy with this.

beverrino

Jan 12, 2015
Hi, how does your mother get cash if you manage her accounts? I'm trying to sort this out for my mum who lives 200 miles away from me, but her pension is paid into a Post office account that she can only draw cash on and she can't get into the town centre to her bank so at the moment she's drawing cash and paying all her bills at the post office and she's becoming very confused by it all.

just wondering - can you set up all her bills to DD? - I have mums set up like this, so she doesn't have to worry about her bills

Mal2

Oct 14, 2014
Enfield
Hi there. I believe you have to wait until then POA has been registered before it comes into force, i.e. you receive the stamped copy back from the OPG.

I had POA for my husband and never had a problem getting money out, in fact I used his account as normal. I believe there are some banks though that have different rules.

Hope this helps.

How do you get POA forms online, when they are filled in does OH have to sign or do you sign for them?

Mal2

Oct 14, 2014
Enfield
"How do you get POA forms online, ..."

https://www.lastingpowerofattorney.service.gov.uk/home

"...when they are filled in does OH have to sign or do you sign for them?"

The donor has to sign, they are giving the attorney(s) authority to act on their behalf, in the case of LPAs this authority continues (lasts) if they ever loose capacity.

OK Thanks. I will download the form and send it off. Do you have to take it to a Solicitor or is it all dealt with by post?

jan.s

Sep 20, 2011
I have just completed my own forms and sent them off and the system is very good, at keeping you on track. I think it has possibly been improved too since I started mine!

Dimelza

May 28, 2013
I did dads myself it was easy and saved a small fortune. We're both back within the ten week timeframe too. Now I have an appointment with his bank and have sent copies to gp, mental health people etc

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

camkam

Jul 20, 2015
just wondering - can you set up all her bills to DD? - I have mums set up like this, so she doesn't have to worry about her bills

I could close the post office cash account and transfer everything to the bank and set up direct debits but its the problem of cash for her day-to-day living expenses. I think that if I try to explain what I've done to her she'll be very confused and won't cope very well with another bank card. It's very difficult as I live so far away.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Instead of closing her PO account, why not transfer everything apart from enough for a day-to-day allowance. Then you can set up DDs for her bills and she doesnt have to get used to a new card.
If you open up an on-line account you can always transfer some funds back to her PO account if necessary

camkam

Jul 20, 2015
Instead of closing her PO account, why not transfer everything apart from enough for a day-to-day allowance. Then you can set up DDs for her bills and she doesnt have to get used to a new card.
If you open up an on-line account you can always transfer some funds back to her PO account if necessary

Hi, this is the problem with the post office card account, you can't transfer anything into or out of it, it's useless! I've been speaking to someone at work this morning though, and she suggested I get a second card for the post office account then I can draw cash and pay it into the bank account, set up the direct debits and it's sorted. At last I think I have a solution, thanks to all for your help

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hi, this is the problem with the post office card account, you can't transfer anything into or out of it, it's useless! I've been speaking to someone at work this morning though, and she suggested I get a second card for the post office account then I can draw cash and pay it into the bank account, set up the direct debits and it's sorted. At last I think I have a solution, thanks to all for your help

Good grief, I had no idea that the PO was so restrictive :confused:

Its a very roundabout way of doing it, but at least the way you suggested should work - so long as you can get a second card.

Grable

May 19, 2015
I think the PO account mentioned here is the one which is just a way of getting the pension paid in cash, rather than an actual 'account', as such.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ArthurPOA