Question about Power of Attorney

IanDB

Sep 16, 2015
Southport
Slightly off-topic as it doesn't apply to PO accounts (as far as I know), but banks do have a facility known as a Third Party Mandate, which is quick & easy to set up. Basically, the account holder signs a form authorising a named person (the "Third Party")to administer the account on their behalf, without removing their own control over the account. In practical terms it is very similar to having a joint account and it is a useful short-term solution while a full PoA is being processed.
As I say, I understand that it doesn't really help the OP but I hope others may find the info useful.

AnxiousBuzz

Sep 17, 2015
General Power of Attorney

If you relative still has capacity, you can also act with a General Power of Attorney. This is a simple two page document - samples can be downloaded. I am not a lawyer, but I used this when a close relative became physically incapacitated and could not sign any documents. It doesn't need to be registered either, and banks and other organisations accept it. It meant that I could deal with urgent financial matters as an interim measure pending registration of the Lasting Power of Attorney. If your relative has lost capacity, you cannot use this approach.

Last edited: