Question about paying for care at home

Discussion in 'Legal and financial issues' started by RoseGarden, Jul 13, 2018 at 9:07 PM.

1. RoseGarden

RoseGarden Registered User

Mar 3, 2012
    My elderly parents live in their own home, supported by family and agency carers. They have been self funding until now, but after seeing a solicitor yesterday I realise that they will very soon be eligible for financial help. I need to organise an assessment for each of them by Social Services.

The solicitor said that SS would probably fund their current care package, but warned me that if it was cheaper to place them in residential care they would want to do this. Their current care package costs roughly 2/3 of the cost of a care home. However, if they were both placed in residential care then their house would be an asset. Could this be a factor in the SS assessment?

Both parents are very happy at home. They go out to activities and mix with other people. Mum has significant mobility problems but she still walks short distances. Dad is much more mobile. I accept that in the future their health may change, and they may need residential care, but for now this set up is working for everyone.

Can anyone share their experiences of transitioning from self funding? Did they look at the current care package? I'd assumed they would start from scratch and ask about their health needs, which is what they did when they assessed my husband last year.

Thanks for any advice.

2. nae sporran

nae sporran Registered User

Oct 29, 2014
    Male
    Bristol
    #2 nae sporran, Jul 14, 2018 at 9:39 AM
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2018 at 11:59 AM
    Sorry I can't help you there @RoseGarden.

Have you tried the Dementia Helpline 0300 222 11 22. They helped me with respite and I know a couple of others who have found their advice to be helpful in sorting out care.
    Helpline opening hours:
    Monday to Wednesday 9am – 8pm
    Thursday and Friday 9am – 5pm
    Saturday and Sunday 10am – 4pm

3. Shedrech

Shedrech Volunteer Moderator

Dec 15, 2012
    Yorkshire
    hi @RoseGarden
    I don't have personal experience of this transition either
    from your description of each of your parents, it doesn't really sound as though a move to a care home is needed, and LAs tend to want to keep people living in their own home for as long as possible - if your parents are considered to still have capacity, nothing could be done against their wishes
    I appreciate that finances do come into the equation, and the LA may suggest a care package that isn't the same as that already in place, but doubt they would press for a move to a care home
    I'd go ahead and arrange the assessments of their care needs well before they reach any financial thresholds, that way you will all know what you're facing

4. Bunpoots

Bunpoots Registered User

Apr 1, 2016
    Nottinghamshire
    I'm actually wondering about this too. I've just received the financial forms to fill in for my dad and realised on looking through his paperwork that he has some shares I didn't know about. These and his savings put him at about £25,000.

I had already set up a care package for dad as SS were taking a very long time to do anything, dad got lost in the system and I had to keep chasing. I couldn't wait any longer for carers to be set up for him so I sorted it out myself, intending to pay privately until SS came through.

Believing that dad had only about £16k in the bank would have made him eligible for financial assistance. His social worker told me not to pay the care bill, she would ring them and let them know the money would be paid through direct payments (obviously dad will be paying now) and the care agency were happy to wait. Dad would keep the care package I'd set up for him and social services would part fund.

I'm assuming when dad's funds drop below £23k SS will still be willing to fund the care he has in place.

5. RoseGarden

RoseGarden Registered User

Mar 3, 2012
    Thanks @nae sporran
    I'm very impressed that the helpline is open at weekends! I rang today and my call was answered immediately.

I was told that the emphasis is on a person-centred approach and that SS will be looking at what's needed to enable them to continue living in their own home, if that's what everyone wants to do.

@Shedrech, both parents are still "aware" and can express an opinion. It's obvious to us and to visiting professionals that they are happy and doing well. I have LPOA for health too if it was thought they couldn't make a decision.

@Bunpoots, it's hard work, isn't it? When we took over their finances we found old documents neatly filed away until 2009 I think. Then nothing - Dad had simply thrown everything away! Finally there was a huge bundle of papers from around 2012 onwards. Bank statements mixed in with old newspapers. It took ages to sift through everything, trying to work out what savings they still had.