Questiin ??

Norrms

Feb 19, 2009
Torquay Devon
A Quick question for you to ponder on this bank holiday weekend .............

in the eyes of the dept of health UK, is "Dementia"classed as a Disability ????

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

patsy56

Jan 14, 2015
Fife Scotland

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
My husband gets the higher rate of AA and we have a disabled parking badge based on his dementia needs.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
"...we have a disabled parking badge based on his dementia needs...."

Blue Badge criteria is a sore point in my LA, they insist that badges can only be awarded for physical difficulties with walking. Inability to get in and out of a vehicle without a wide parking space, getting lost/wandering off if left alone do not count.

A diagnosis of dementia however severe does not in itself qualify for a badge unless there are physical mobility problems that can be demonstrated at an assessment, you just have to hope that the assessment is on a bad day.

I believe the 'familiar journey without assistance' applies in Wales, don't know about Scotland.

I am heavily involved in the discussions.

Synopsis of National Scheme consultation and development – provided by <nitram>
Before the national scheme LAs used the DLA mobility criteria for discretionary awards, they also looked favourably on physiological problems. At this time both the government and AS made reference to the safety of both the applicant and carer being considered and LAs took this into consideration.

When PIP was introduced there was a raft of discussion documents and at first it looked as if the whole of the mobility criteria were going to trigger Blue Badge eligibility for those receiving PIP. I think LAs therefore considered both the 'Planning and following journeys' and 'Moving around' parts of the 'Mobility Activities', most likely at the 'Cannot follow a familiar journey without assistance' and 'Cannot walk 50 metres without assistance' levels which seemed to be the most likely outcome of the consultations and was broadly in line with the pre PIP days.

When the final document was published the version for England only referred to the 'Moving around' part, this effectively said that LAs should no longer consider the 'Planning and following journeys' part leaving only the cannot walk 50 metres part.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I think it was the familiar journey without assistance when we did it. I believe the process has changed here now. My application for Bill did make reference to his failing mobility but I also made a big case out of continence issues and the need to be able to park near disabled toilets, not being able to leave him while I parked the car or when I went to get the car etc. I doubt if it will be as easy next time around.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Izzy, you are OK
Just looked at a note I wrote last summer.
Sorry about the formatting.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Blue Badge – different countries in UK
Blue Badge eligibility in red
Note both Wales and Scotland include the 'planing and following journeys' part of PIP whereas England does not
N Ireland appears to be in a 'watch this space ' situation
Scotland -badges issued by LA
Independence Payment (PIP) that indicates that they either cannot stand or can
stand but walk no more than 50 metres (8 points or more); or
• you meet the 'Planning and Following Journeys' descriptor for the Mobility
Component of Personal Independence Payment (PIP) that indicates that they
can't follow the route of a familiar journey without another person, an assistance
dog or an orientation aid (12 points);
http://www.bluebadgescotland.org/fi...INAL - Can I Get A Blue Badge - June 2014.pdf
Wales - badges issued by ???
you have an award letter from DWP showing you receive Personal Independent
Payment at enhanced rate for planning of a journey or standard rate for moving
around
http://wales.gov.uk/docs/det/publications/140806-blue-badge-eligibility-criteria-en.pdf
N .Ireland - badges issued by gov. dept.
DLA not yet replaced by PIP
Personal Independence Payment (PIP) is a new benefit designed to help people with disabilities live more independently and to support those in greatest need. Subject to the Welfare Reform Bill for Northern Ireland becoming law, PIP will replace Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for eligible people of working age (16 to 64 years old).
http://www.nidirect.gov.uk/personal-independence-payment-pip
you receive the higher rate of the mobility component of Disability Living Allowance
http://www.nidirect.gov.uk/the-blue-badge-parking-scheme
England – badges issued by gov. dept.
b) receives a Personal Independence Payment for being unable
to walk further than 50 metres (a score of 8 points or more
under the ‘moving around’ activity of the mobility component);
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...t_data/file/197719/can-i-get-a-blue-badge.pdf

DLA, PIP,and AA – summary as I see it.
PIP has replaced DLA, both only awarded for people aged 16 to 64
Those over 64 have to apply for AA.
If a person in receipt of DLA or PIP reaches 64they continue to receive itas long as they still meet the criteria for PIP
DLA had a mobility requirement, this gave Blue Badge eligibility.
AA has no such requirement and as such can only only provide supplementary evidence for a discretionary Blue Badge .
PIP split the mobility requirement into two parts, 'planning and following journeys' and 'moving around'
I'm sure that all the consultation documents that I read in 2011 recommended that either of these parts was sufficient eligibility for a Blue Badge, this is around the time that Sarah Phillips wrote her advice. In true Government style any links I kept now land on a page saying ' not available, search on Gov.uk

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
L Ann