Query Re Care Home Charges

jonl

Sep 6, 2018
I may well be asking long after the horse has bolted from the stable as my mother went into care two years ago but my question is prompted by my finding a letter from that time from the local NHS Continuing Care Team denying an application for Continuing Health Care.

My mother was placed into care by the local social services as she was deemed a risk to herself and others if she was to stay in her own home with her advancing dementia and since that time has been funding her residence costs from her own savings (via myself acting with POA).

However as she was placed there against her will by social services rather than this being a voluntary decision is it correct that she has to pay all her own fees or is there/should there be assistance available?

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
I'm afraid it's nothing to do with her being "placed against her will". Most people are, because who loves going into a care home? If a best interest decision concluded she had to for her own safety, then that is that. Most CHC applications are denied, and then it's down to the individual's financial circumstances.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi @Joni
and welcome to TP
however a person arrives to move into a care home, if they have savings above £23250 (and do not qualify for CHC payments, and very few do) they will have to pay their own care home fees from income and savings
just check that your mother is receiving Attendance Allowance at the higher rate as those who self-fund keep this benefit

jonl

Sep 6, 2018
Thanks for the responses, just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing a trick.

My mother was/is in receipt of disability living allowance due to long term mobility problems, is attendance allowance something that can be taken alongside this?

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
My mother was/is in receipt of disability living allowance due to long term mobility problems, is attendance allowance something that can be taken alongside this?
Unfortunately not.
DLA is given to people who are not receiving state pension (its now been changed to PIP) and it then continues once they reach retirement. Attendance Allowance is given to people who are already receiving state pension. You cant get both.