Query on Power of Attorney documents / Certified copy

sad girl

Feb 16, 2012
I have full power of attorney for my mum - welfare and financial. Her GP signed the documents and charged me £120 for doing so. I have now been asked by the Inland Revenue to send them the original POA or a certified copy.

Has anyone done this as i'm a bit reluctant to send the original/let it out of my sight and her GP will no-doubt charge me again for doing the certified copy. If I send a certified copy, does that mean the Inland Revenue will return the signed copy back to me as they would the original, or will they keep it and each copy I need in the future I will have to pay for it ?

FifiMo

Feb 10, 2010
Wiltshire
Take the original into any JOb Centre or to a solicitor and ask them to make a certified copy of the original for you. It only costs a few £££s to get one done. As most places you encounter will ask for this then it might be worth getting a few copies done. That w the original never leaves your hands.

Fiona

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
You can make an appointment with your local HMRC Enquiry Centre
http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/enq/
they will copy the original and make sure the correct part of HMRC is informed.

DWP copies are free but have limited use outside DWP.

Last edited:

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Please never send the original LPA anywhere, things do get lost in the post, also more and more companies are getting into the habit of shredding things automatically.

Ideally you should keep the original locked away safe, preferably in a fireproof box, or with a solicitor.

Some places no longer accept certified copies from job centres , I believe that everyone accepts a solicitors certified copy.

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
If anyone wants to keep your certfied copy (which may well have cost you upwards of £20) get the to sign a statement to the effect that it will be returned to you. Otherwise, as has been said, it stands a very good chance of being mindlessly shredded

Thorpeybhoy

Dec 14, 2021
Take the original into any JOb Centre or to a solicitor and ask them to make a certified copy of the original for you. It only costs a few £££s to get one done. As most places you encounter will ask for this then it might be worth getting a few copies done. That w the original never leaves your hands.

Fiona
I needed to send a copy to the Inland Revenue. The local job centre (Nuneaton) took a copy and certified it for me without question, very helpful of them!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sillymom23