QUERY: How to notify HMRC of my Power of attorney

Brother47

Jan 18, 2020
Hi all, I have Power of Attorney. covering property and finance, for my brother who is in the later stages of FTD and can no longer deal with letters, forms etc. I have released his pensions for him but need to deal with his tax affairs because they are now affected by his private pension income and he is now on an emergency tax code. Does anyone know how to let HMRC know that I have PoA? There's nothing on their website other than how to apply for Power of Attorney. I'm tempted to write to them and send a certified copy of the Power of Attorney but I don't want to risk losing that and am not sure which address to send it to of the many shown on their site. I've tried calling them but gave up waiting for them to answer after 19 mins! Expensive! Any advice appreciated! Thanks

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
I'm tempted to write to them and send a certified copy of the Power of Attorney but I don't want to risk losing that and am not sure which address to send it to of the many shown on their site.

The address is
PAYE & Self Assessment,
HMRC,
BX9 1AS

Send a covering letter quoting his NI number and any tax reference asking them to register the LPA

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
Send a copy of the certified power of attorney to

Self Assessment
HM Revenue and Customs
BX9 1AS
United Kingdom

It should get sent back.

Make sure to say you want all correspondence to come to you, and give his UTR and NI number (if you don't have his UTR don't worry - the NI number will do).

I found when I registered my mum that when I phoned up they had only changed the address in one place and not the other so some correspondence was coming to me and some to my mum's old address (we did have redirection in place).

the phone number you should be using is 0300 200 3310

It is free from landlines

19 minutes isn't actually very long to be on hold to HMRC I'm afraid - it was over 40 minutes for one call when I sorted my mum out

Edited to add- you could include the issue in a separate letter when you send the certified copy of the power of attorney

And make it very clear (a post it note on the document is best) that you want the certified copy of the power of attorney returned.

all post received by HMRC is scanned and destroyed so a separate letter regarding the query would be best.

The time it takes them to deal with post varies but is normally somewhere between 6 and 12 weeks

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
I agree with @jugglingmum attach a separate note to the certified copy of the POA telling them to return it. The POA often seems to get detached from the accompanying letter so the request to return isn't noted - I find mine get returned at a rate of 1 in 2. (I got compensation for the last one which a financial institution accidentally shredded - would rather have done without the hassle and just had it back.)

Brother47

Jan 18, 2020
The address is
PAYE & Self Assessment,
HMRC,
BX9 1AS

Send a covering letter quoting his NI number and any tax reference asking them to register the LPA
Thank you so much for your advice. That’s a great help.

Brother47

Jan 18, 2020
Send a copy of the certified power of attorney to

Self Assessment
HM Revenue and Customs
BX9 1AS
United Kingdom

It should get sent back.

Make sure to say you want all correspondence to come to you, and give his UTR and NI number (if you don't have his UTR don't worry - the NI number will do).

I found when I registered my mum that when I phoned up they had only changed the address in one place and not the other so some correspondence was coming to me and some to my mum's old address (we did have redirection in place).

the phone number you should be using is 0300 200 3310

It is free from landlines

19 minutes isn't actually very long to be on hold to HMRC I'm afraid - it was over 40 minutes for one call when I sorted my mum out

Edited to add- you could include the issue in a separate letter when you send the certified copy of the power of attorney

And make it very clear (a post it note on the document is best) that you want the certified copy of the power of attorney returned.

all post received by HMRC is scanned and destroyed so a separate letter regarding the query would be best.

The time it takes them to deal with post varies but is normally somewhere between 6 and 12 weeks
Great, thank you so much. That’s a great help.

Bod

Aug 30, 2013
Take the POA into a Job Centre, ask them to copy and certify the POA, as you need a copy to send to HMRC.
As a Govenment dep't HMRC will accept a Job Centre copy, which shouldn't cost you and won't matter if it gets lost.

Bod

Brother47

Jan 18, 2020
Take the POA into a Job Centre, ask them to copy and certify the POA, as you need a copy to send to HMRC.
As a Govenment dep't HMRC will accept a Job Centre copy, which shouldn't cost you and won't matter if it gets lost.

Bod
Thank you Bod, much appreciate your reply!