Quality of life in CHs - university research

Witzend

Aug 29, 2007
SW London
I have been contacted by someone from a dept of a leading London university - they are doing research into the quality of life in CHs, and how it could be improved. I am seeing one of the team next Tues after visiting my mother. Over the phone she told me that 50 CHs are involved in the study.

I was wondering a) whether anyone else has been asked, and b) if anyone has any particular thoughts I could pass on, about how Q of L could be improved in CHs.

My mother"s CH is pretty good, purpose built for dementia, and I don't really have any definite points to make. A couple of things that have occurred to am from other people are residents being locked out of their rooms in the daytime, and relatives not being allowed to visit at mealtimes. Insufficient activities are obviously another, but I would probably add that not everyone is a natural joiner-inner (my mother never was ) and people should not all be lumped together just because they have dementia.

I will of course tell the researcher about TP - I am sure they could glean a lot of information from here.

JackyJ

Mar 19, 2013
Weston
Hi Happy to help,

I have been contacted by someone from a dept of a leading London university - they are doing research into the quality of life in CHs, and how it could be improved. I am seeing one of the team next Tues after visiting my mother. Over the phone she told me that 50 CHs are involved in the study.

I was wondering a) whether anyone else has been asked, and b) if anyone has any particular thoughts I could pass on, about how Q of L could be improved in CHs.

My mother"s CH is pretty good, purpose built for dementia, and I don't really have any definite points to make. A couple of things that have occurred to am from other people are residents being locked out of their rooms in the daytime, and relatives not beingallowed to visit at mealtimes. Insufficient activities are obviously another, but I would probably add that not everyone is a natural joiner-inner (my mother never was ) and people should not all be lumped together just because they have dementia.

I will of course tell the researcher about TP - I am sure they could glean a lot of information from here.

Hi happy to help, I've just moved mum from her CH for the reasons you describe, she was being locked in her room, kept on her own, no where to roam etc.

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
Another frequent complaint on the forum is staff accepting no for an answer and then moving on. Instead of coaxing, continually asking or changing how they approach a resident means that changing of clothes, bathing and helping with feeding are not happening. We know they cannot be forced but they can be encouraged even if it takes from morning until afternoon.

So many homes are very set in their routines and if you miss your slot then you are deemed as refusing so you stay unwashed, un shaved, undressed etc.

gringo

Feb 1, 2012
UK.
What’s the study for? How will it be used?
Are we just being used as ‘research fodder’ for academics furthering their careers?
I’m afraid I’m pretty suspicious of this kind of thing. Why don’t they just go and work in a CH. and find out for themselves the realities of our lives?

Witzend

Aug 29, 2007
SW London
What’s the study for? How will it be used?
Are we just being used as ‘research fodder’ for academics furthering their careers?
I’m afraid I’m pretty suspicious of this kind of thing. Why don’t they just go and work in a CH. and find out for themselves the realities of our lives?

I certainly got the impression that this was a genuine study to help improve practice in CHs. However, as so often, I suspect that those doing the interviews won't have much idea of the practical realities of dementia. The person I spoke to talked of 'people with memory problems' - indicating a common perception that this is all it entails.

In any case, I will be approaching it in a spirit of cooperation.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
I find it hard to understand why residents should be locked out of their rooms. I thought people were supposed to regard a care/nursing home as their own home.
The only time the doors were not fully open in my husband's nursing home was when there was a fire alarm practice on a Friday at 2 pm or when personal care was being given.
Visitors could visit at any time.

Sweet

Jun 16, 2014
My mum's CH, a nursing home, was HER home.

No doors were locked, residents could move freely around on a wander! Mum always wanted her door open, but she had choice to close it. As family we could visit whenever and for as long as we liked. As I lived close by, sometimes I would pop in and out during the day!

She had sky tv put in when she first moved in so she could watch the cricket and football. Tho sadly as dementia took hold she lost interest in tv.

I also sat many a time at the table with mum and chatted to the other people there while they were having lunch or dinner.

I often read on TP about the reluctance of people to be in a CH. My mum's was great.

Navara

Nov 30, 2012
I have just posted a new thread about hindsight and what I would look for now so I won't repeat it all here!

angecmc

Dec 25, 2012
hertfordshire
I would also make the point about how difficult it is for some of us to actually get our relatives into a care home, when the powers that be deem them capable of still living at home even though their carers are virtually on their knees. Also agree with Gringo, it would be better if they actually did some sort of voluntary work in care homes to actually experience the problems themselves xx

Ange