PWD saying she wasn’t vaccinated *sigh*

DreamsAreReal

Oct 17, 2015
Just taken pwd to have her Covid vaccination. Wasn’t allowed to go in with her but when I came to take her home she said, “they didn’t give me an injection - waste of time”. So I went back and asked if she’d had the injection, staff said “yes, she has”. I looked at her upper arms and there’s no mark I can see. It’s so hard to know whether they’re not remembering or its true.

Did anyone else get vaccinated and not have a mark left?

She’s now saying they’re going to ask her to go back again and she’ll take great pleasure in saying no, what a waste of time etc etc. I was so pleased she was getting the vaccination. Aarghh!!!!!! (the aarghh is me).

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
I had no mark nor did I feel the injection. She would have been given a small card, bank card size, which would have had which vaccine she had and it’s batch number plus space for second vaccination to be recorded. I was also given some information leaflets.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
my husband had his and no marks and didnt realise he had it but he knew all about it in the evening and during the night as it throbs, he couldnt sleep. paracetamol solved the pain and he had one of those little cards.

Woo2

Apr 30, 2019
South East
Yes Mum had no mark or didn’t even realize they had injected her and we got the card and leaflet too, I told them on the phone I would be accompanying her and they were fine.

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
I had my vaccination on Sunday and no marks. I was complaining of a stiff arm, and my husband wasn't very sympathetic as he couldn't see anything. Do have a look for the card, as that is an important piece of information. Is it in a handbag somewhere?

Weasell

Oct 21, 2019
I try and always let my mother ‘win’ !
I have long abandoned telling the truth about anything at all, I simply tell her what she needs to know or can understand.
If she has it in her head she was not vaccinated that is her ‘reality, ’ telling her she is mistaken is a criticism of her ( that never goes down well in this house)

I would get a friend to forward an email to me.
I would apologise for the clinic running out of vaccine that day.
It would thank mum for her patience and upstanding at such a critical time for the country.
It would state that that vaccination clinic will now give her a ‘ one shot vaccine’ on Thursday 22nd March at 10.15.
( then I would delete the email when she had read it )!

I would absolutely insist as her carer that I was with her for the vaccine. ( I was with mum When she had hers)
I always try the nice way to start with but get assertive if necessary,
‘ I am a carer for someone with dementia, if I do not go in with her I will be taking your names and making a formal complaint. I have evidence of others getting carer support for the jab. I consider this direct discrimination and will expect my complaint to be dealt with as such’!

You could consider passing them a note requesting the person giving the jab does not discuss the subject of immunisation unless they have to, with my mother due to her fragile mental health. I would suggest if they wanted to chat to mum ‘ are you looking forward to any outings this summer.’ Or did you have any problems with the journey here may be suitable topics to discuss?

My solution is most likely too extreme for most, but no one does stubborn like my mum.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
I try and always let my mother ‘win’ !
I have long abandoned telling the truth about anything at all, I simply tell her what she needs to know or can understand.
If she has it in her head she was not vaccinated that is her ‘reality, ’ telling her she is mistaken is a criticism of her ( that never goes down well in this house)

I would get a friend to forward an email to me.
I would apologise for the clinic running out of vaccine that day.
It would thank mum for her patience and upstanding at such a critical time for the country.
It would state that that vaccination clinic will now give her a ‘ one shot vaccine’ on Thursday 22nd March at 10.15.
( then I would delete the email when she had read it )!

I would absolutely insist as her carer that I was with her for the vaccine. ( I was with mum When she had hers)
I always try the nice way to start with but get assertive if necessary,
‘ I am a carer for someone with dementia, if I do not go in with her I will be taking your names and making a formal complaint. I have evidence of others getting carer support for the jab. I consider this direct discrimination and will expect my complaint to be dealt with as such’!

You could consider passing them a note requesting the person giving the jab does not discuss the subject of immunisation unless they have to, with my mother due to her fragile mental health. I would suggest if they wanted to chat to mum ‘ are you looking forward to any outings this summer.’ Or did you have any problems with the journey here may be suitable topics to discuss?

My solution is most likely too extreme for most, but no one does stubborn like my mum.
Yours is the solution I would have used plus one or two love lies.

MaNaAk

DreamsAreReal

Oct 17, 2015
Thanks all for your replies, you’re so helpful on here - TP members are an absolute godsend. She didn’t get a card as such - she had two different booklets about “what to expect after your vaccination“ and she had an A4 sized paper with information about the Astra-zenica vaccine (the kind you get with meds listing side effects etc) - I didn’t see any batch no., but I didn’t read the whole thing. None of these things had her name on. I phoned her gp surgery who were organising it and the receptionist said she’ll let me know if there was any problem when the staff get back and start putting the patient names into the computer. We’re in Scotland, btw.

Having read your comments about not having a mark I think she’s just forgot she had it. She went to hospital twice in the weeks after Christmas but doesn’t remember that either.
edit - and I’ll insist on coming with her in future, thanks all. X

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
@DreamsAreReal , the card with the make of vaccine and batch number is worded - Keep this card safe in your purse or wallet.

If you find she has had the vaccine ask that she be given another one. She will need it for the second dose.

None of my leaflets had my name on they were just handed to me after I had the vaccine.

DreamsAreReal

Oct 17, 2015
@DreamsAreReal , the card with the make of vaccine and batch number is worded - Keep this card safe in your purse or wallet.

If you find she has had the vaccine ask that she be given another one. She will need it for the second dose.

None of my leaflets had my name on they were just handed to me after I had the vaccine.
Thank you, @jaymor There was definitely no card, but maybe they don’t have them up here? Will call gp again tomorrow if they don’t call me.

EDIT: just googled this and the card isn’t being issued in Scotland, just a leaflet which should have the date of second vacc - she had that leaflet but no date was written on it. Maybe she’s right after all?!

Last edited:

Banjomansmate

Jan 13, 2019
Dorset
I received the Astra-Zeneca jab and was given an NHS card with my name, date, manufacturer and batch No. details hand written on it. There is space for the details of the follow up injection.

oh, just seen your edit! ?