PWD doesn't believe they are in the 'real' care home

AshestoAshes

Aug 10, 2019
I've eventually managed to get my dad (90, with mixed moderate dementia) into a care home after a long period of him struggling to cope living alone. The problem now is that he hasn't taken well to the home - though the staff have been good with him and he is well cared for. He keeps asking me when he will be able to go to the care home he looked at and really liked, because he thinks he'll be much happier there. I am at a bit of a loss in thinking of a good way to handle this, even though I have got used to lying to my dad about all sorts of things. Any suggestions? He is so relentlessly negative about the place, even though he really liked it initially, that it's getting me down when visiting.

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
No direct experience of this but can you say the waiting list is a bit longer than expected and then go on to praise where he is now, and say the food is better than the other one anyway?

sounds like the common knowing something is wrong but not what and something else will make it better

Also if you visit a lot would leaving it a week or so work so he comes to rely on the care home staff a bit more.