1. Q&A: "Loneliness and isolation" - Tuesday 30 Oct, 2-3pm

Are you experiencing loneliness and isolation? Do you care for someone with dementia or have dementia yourself? We are here to answer your questions on this emotive topic. Our next expert Q&A will be hosted by Anne from our Helpline team. She will be answering your questions on Tuesday 30 October from 2-3pm. Want to ask questions in advance, or don’t think you can make it? You can either post questions here or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll answer as many as we can on Tuesday 30th of October from 2-3 pm.

Pop by and post your questions now and we'll answer them on Tuesday.

PWD - child support?

Discussion in 'Legal and financial issues' started by rose555, May 18, 2018.

1. rose555

rose555 Registered User

May 10, 2018
    Ahead of the Financial Assesment next week, I wonder if anyone can offer advice. My uncle with dementia (85) will be moving to a care home, he doesn't have any savings and his wife and child (16) live in their house. His wife is a lot younger than him obviously, and works full time. My question is, I know they will take all his State Pension towards his care costs, plus half of his private pension (total private pension about £100 per month) and leave him about £25 a week for his personal care costs. But what about his child? The child will be in full time education from 16-18. I feel like this child will lose their father to dementia and the care home (neither of those can be helped, it is absolutely what is needed now to keep him safe) plus lose any financial support. I realise it's an unusual situation, but perhaps someone who has dealt with an earlier onset dementia may have faced a similar issue with their children? Thanks, Rose

2. Bunpoots

Bunpoots Registered User

Apr 1, 2016
    Nottinghamshire
    I'm not sure but I would have thought that as the wife is working full time she would be entitled to universal credit until the child leaves full time education. Has she looked into this?

3. jenniferpa

jenniferpa Volunteer Moderator

Jun 27, 2006
    There are exceptions with regard to minor children when it comes to passing back money to support them. I'm afraid I haven't researched them thoroughly though.

4. jenniferpa

jenniferpa Volunteer Moderator

Jun 27, 2006
    46) There may be some circumstances where it would not be appropriate for the local authority to leave a person only with the personal expenses allowance after charges. For example:

a) Where a person has a dependent child the local authority should consider the needs of the child in determining how much income a person should be left with after charges. This applies whether the child is living with the person or not

This is from the statutory guidance regarding PEA. It rather sounds as if this is something that needs to be negotiated unfortunately.

5. rose555

rose555 Registered User

May 10, 2018
    Thanks @Bunpoots and @jenniferpa
    I will let his wife know about the Universal Credit, I'm not sure she would be classed as 'low income' but of course she will lose over £10,000 a year just in his state pension.. it was more to do with the feeling that PWD should be contributing financially to bringing up his child no matter where he is living, of course he would want to be able to do that, and I feel it's important that their child still at least feels financially supported by the father if there is no physical or emotional support available from him. I will look up this Personal Expenses Allowance. Thank you again, Rose

6. Kevinl

Kevinl Registered User

Aug 24, 2013
    Salford
  7. rose555

rose555 Registered User

May 10, 2018
    Thanks @Kevinl perhaps I'm looking in the wrong bit but this starts

Minimum income guaranteed amount for other adults and carers whose needs are being met otherwise than by the provision of accommodation in a care home

So if he's going to be in a care home is it a different section? I have to say it's not exactly a clearly written thing, any of it, but like everything with PWD we are on a massive learning curve.. and you are all helping so much. Rose