Putting the litter to bed and something more serious

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Here is the link to show Alan putting the litter of puppies to bed. The ritual takes about an hour as everything has to be just right.

The more serious thing is that when Alan sees himself on the computer playing the guitar he kept saying "he is dead":eek: Today I thought I understood. I thought he meant something like maybe "he is old" or "he is good" because Alan cannot find the right words. However, now I am not so sure. I've shown him some clips again and he always says the same thing "he's dead" and proceeds to tell me something about his dad. Could he think he is seeing his dad - but his dad didn't play the guitar and sing?

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/helen...?authkey=Gv1sRgCKaO7PeRurO3LA&feat=directlink

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Helen

Does Alan look like his dad? Might Alan be thinking of himself as a younger person?
I know Dhiren does.

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Hello - it is sad but lovely to see how gentle Alan is putting the 'puppies' to bed.

I think maybe you are trying to be logical!! Even though Alan's Dad did not play the guitar or sing, he could recognise in himself something of his Dad. The person he saw probably looked older than he expected (maybe he was in his 30's (?) in his mind) and so pictured his Dad as the older person.

Does that make sense?

Take care Love Jan

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Thank you Jan and Sylvia

You've just made something click in my brain:eek: It's because he has been sundowning and he might seem out of it but he isn't completely. I share the videos with you all because Alan clearly is able to say that he doesn't mind and he enjoys seeing himself but then he often also comes out with what I've already described. I never thought Alan would sometimes see himself as younger (he certainly acts it at times as you've seen when he was swinging on that bridge). It makes sense now why he would see his dad. I feel so silly that I couldn't make that connection myself:eek: Thank you.

The puppy picture was really too dark but it gave over a gist of the nightly procedure.

Love

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
I agree - it was beautiful and very, very touching. I think you're also on the right track with Alan thinking he's younger than he is. It seems fairly common, and it's one of the reasons that people start to confuse their children with their spouses: if you think you're 30 years younger than you are, and you look at your (to you) much older spouse, then what are you likely to think? Even without dementia, most if us have caught a glimpse of ourselves in a shop window and thought "what's my mother doing there?"

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Even without dementia, most if us have caught a glimpse of ourselves in a shop window and thought "what's my mother doing there?"

that reminds me of when at the airport flying out with my son I handed my passport over to check in my case . Lady look up at me asking me if I had plastic surgery :confused:as I look so young now compared to my photo.

I had handed my mother passport not mine :eek: :D

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
Helen - What a very touching little video. So gentle and caring xxx and very very sad

Margarita,

Ken once had to come back from Spain to England without me. It's a long time ago but I wonder if even then dementia was sewing little seeds in his brain. He took my passport by mistake and got through the Spanish side and then into England with it - don't ask me how (and NO I DON'T look like afella!!).

The troublke started when coming back from England to Spain. I had to fax his passport documents to England and then go to the Airport police in Alicante to get their written permission for him to enter Spain again, then fax that back to England!!

It was a nightmare. And he had an exhibition of his paintings to put on in a town near Alicante. I was so lucky as all my Spanish friends rallied round and helped me to put up the pictures.

What a day that was!!

xxTinaT