Put into care homes without patient consent?

Hol2

Oct 17, 2021
Hello, thanks for reading this.

My nan was recently diagnosed with mild, mixed dementia. Part vascular and part Alzheimer’s.

I want to know or try get advice from someone in similar situations. She is refusing and even saying she doesn’t have dementia, but she has and needs to go in one. Keeping saying also we are throwing her out and dont want her. This isnt the case at all! My mum is not coping with her at all and has mental health battles of her own. The weight of it all is making her suicidal to put it bluntly. Its the final straw for me since she attempted this morning. Mum is not getting much help at the moment aside from occasional respite, and since nan is refusing to go residential she feels stuck.

My main question here is can a doctor or social worker override nan and put her in a home anyway? Or can mum herself do it, she has power of attorney? Or is it up to nan to change her mind and go willingly. Its in my nan’s best interest too, not just my mum’s.

Im sorry if this all sounds so cruel! Im at breaking point myself and have no idea what to do or say.

Thankyou

Claire250

Sep 25, 2021
If your mum has a Health and Welfare POA then she could take that decision for your nan, but only if it's been decided your nan does not have capacity to make her own decisions any more. So sorry for your situation, it's a very difficult time for you all.

Banjomansmate

Jan 13, 2019
Dorset
It will also come down to money! Does your Nan have enough money to pay for her own care or would she be reliant on LA funding? It sounds as though your Mum needs a Carer’s assessment and your Nan a capacity and best interest assessment. Does she live with you and/ or your Mum? You don’t say what problems she has, would having carers in help both of them?

Hol2

Oct 17, 2021
Thankyou so much both for the advice! There is a care and capacity assessment in place now. Yes mum has health and finance POA. I think nan would be reliant on funding? Yes carers would help mum a lot. Both physical and mental health are not great at all for her. Sorry for the vagueness on mums health. But Thankyou both again!

Cazcaz

Apr 3, 2021
@Hol2 does anyone LIVE with your Nan? In whose home, I mean is it your nan’s own home, your mum’s own home or rented (Privately or council)?
does your Nan have over £23,000 In her own name?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lindsay A