Pushing the boundries

Lonestray

Aug 3, 2006
Hereford
Hello readers, I have just come through two weeks of hell. Bank holiday weekend I was wakened between 10.30 & 11.00pm. by a bunch of partying teenagers next door. The parents went on holiday and left the ealdest son behind. Someone shouted for them to shut up and got a load of abuse. I became stressed and lost my cool, took a small jug of water and threw it from the bedroom in their direction. The result uproar, 8 youngesters at front door cursing and abusive. One asked if I was afraid of them, wrong question to me at that point. One of them pushed me, instint took over I struck a controlled blow. It brought silence except for this 20 something yr old, telling me he would get his Dad to sort me out. I was so stressed and upset I couldn't sleep so went for a long hard run at 01.30am while my wife slept. It also gave me time to reflect on my actions. On my return I went next door and offered my humble apologies for my actions and explained my situation. No point going to bed as my day starts at 05.10am. How I got through that day I don't know.
Bank holiday Monday on my run I stumbled and fell heavy on one rib as I reached out to break the fall. In trying to get a doctor, only answering machines. Phoned our daughter to let me go to A&E, 2 1/2 hrs later I'm informed injured ribs! advised to get pain killers. Soonest appointment Tue 2.30pm with GP result: medication for internal damage and to take it easy. Four days of taking it easy (caring for my wife) was too much, just had to run in spite of pain and fear. Been running each day since and feeling better, still can sleep only on one side.
Mon the 4th was about to dress Jean to take out in w/chair when she started to convulse, bit her tongue, stopped breathing, rushed to A&E. I had to keep repeating she can't move nor talk and insisted in being involved. I would not take no for an answer and the young lady Doctor accepted my input. I talked to Jean while hooked up to machine with a tube up her nose, mask and drip. Telling her that all the grandchildren (by name) were playing down the orchard and by the river (our old house) not to worry about them just rest I've got everything under control. They'er all grown up now some with children. The Doctor was very forthcoming explaining Jean had a mini stroke like the last one in April and that they could happen any time without warning. I informed her how I cared for Jean's mind affected by Alzheimer's. She was surprised I was looking after her on my own and asked when her GP last saw her? I just laughed : "What GP, I can't remember 2yrs 3yrs?" "If I were her GP I would pop in from time to time just to see how she was, at the least I'd phone daily. I expect your doing such a good job everyone leaves you alone." Then the question: "As these strokes can strike any time, do you want her to stay in hospital or home to die?" I thanked her for her help and was pleased when she said "No, thank you I have learned to-day" I had her home 4hrs later, a little weaker but happier, as am I. We WILL make it to our 51st wedding ann on the 24th. Each day I feel less pain. God bless you and ease your pain. Padraig

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Just read your post with amazement - how incredible you are. No other comment except YES YOU WILL MAKE IT TO YOUR ANNIVERSARY

God Bless You and very best wishes Beckyjan

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
Hi Padraig
what an awful time you had,as if you do not have enough problems.
Hope things are leveling out now.
I am sure that you will make it to you 51st.
Best Wishes
Norman

Last edited:

maria29al

Mar 15, 2006
Warwickshire
I read your message and, for once, words almost fail me. You truly are a star!

Of course you will both make it to your 51st!.....wow...51st....how wonderful.

Huge hugs to you both.

M

xxxxxxxxxx:)

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Padraig, I salute you. How on earth you coped with the stress of the last 2 weeks, I can`t imagine. You deserve to get through to your 51st anniversary, if anyone does.

I hope the next 2 weeks are better for you both.

Grannie G

Lonestray

Aug 3, 2006
Hereford
Outside concerns

Thanks you all so much for your kind words. I am at last recovering slowly although some pain I'm back almost to my fitness routine.I am happy and lucky in my caring pastime it has shown me so much about myself and the daily lives of so many women. How in heck do they get through years of house work, cooking etc, don't they ever get bored?
The things I find anoying are drivers taking disabled slots at the supermarket. Dog fouled footpaths and cars parked on foothpaths. It's hard enough getting a w/chair over the curbs. Now I'm concerned for our grandson who is to be posted to Afgahhanistan. He has served in N. Ireland, Bosnia, two tours in Iraq. I pray for our daughter's peace of mind.
How about this for real Monty Python : Our daughter was born in a British Military Hospital In Germany in the 50's. Because I was Irish they would not register her birth. The Irish Authorities were unhappy with me being in the British Forces. So she was registered in Germany (German birth certificate). In order to post me to Bahrain I was accorded British citizenship. In recent years our daughter applied for a British passport and was refused in spite of forwarding my passport and the letter granting me citizenship. She was advised she could have it if I divorced my English wife. Her husband is ex- REGIMENT between the three of us we have served over 50yrs. She now travles on an Irish passport! I know our lad in worried as some of his friends have been killed. We just have to trust in God to see over his wife and little girl, and live in hope. God bless. Padraig

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joins