Pushing panic button

Pear trees

Jan 25, 2015
My 88 year old mother pushed her panic button this afternoon as she was feeling sorry for herself and felt abandoned and alone as her lunch club is closed 2 days over Easter. This is despite my sister-in-law visiting that morning and me calling her just beforehand. She refused to talk to the call handler who then phoned me. She refused to answer her phone for nearly half an hour. When she finally did and told me she did it as she felt abandoned I shouted at her through relief, by which time my sister-in-law had rushed from work expecting to find her on the floor.
We both explained that it is for emergencies only, not just to have a chat, and that sister in law would visit daily and I would call twice daily as usual.
I don't want to take the button away from her just in case it is a real emergency.

Jan 3, 2013
Sidcup
My mum has one and has never ever used it even when she fell and slashed her head! She says she doesn't want to bother anyone. There is no winning x

Pickles53

Feb 25, 2014
Radcliffe on Trent
Although my mum never used her alarm even when she fell, in her area we were assured that the service was not just for emergencies. People could call for any reason eg mum was often very confused about days/dates/times and could have called to check. When it was first set up we were also asked about her interests etc as she was welcome to call just for a chat if she felt lonely.

I wish she had been able/willing to make more use of the service; it would have made life so much easier for her and me.

alexp

Feb 21, 2009
Devon
My aunt had one of these when she lived alone. One day she pressed it because she was in pain with severe constipation.

They were very kind and sent a nurse round who gave her a suppository. At no time was she made to feel that it was an inappropriate use of the alarm button.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dorarosa