Purple Angel memory cafes How do they work ??

Norrms

Feb 19, 2009
Torquay Devon
HOW PURPLE ANGEL MEMORY CAFE IS RUN (for reference, please feel free to copy but most of all HAVE FUN !!)

Volunteers for the cafe? , no need for professionals but always helpful if you have one or two, otherwise better to have those who have worked as carers, are carers or have some connection with dementia
The two words we cherish most is INCLUSION and ENGAGEMENT so with that said a MUST is to have a volunteer on EACH TABLE at all times (Apart from when serving tea and coffee) This inclusion with them, chatting to them, reassuring them and answering their questions is so very important to make them feel comfortable

ALWAYS REMEMBER ITS THEIR CAFE !! NOT YOURS, you are just the facilitators (ask all every four weeks what THEY would like to do at cafe)

TIMES of cafe "EVERY WEEK"

,( once a month for people with dementia to remember is far too long, )

On Entrance meet, greet, take names of both PWD and carers (Health and safety must be a priority)

1.30pm till 3.30pm (Music must be playing in background all the time, 50s and 60s please and keep the war songs for remembrance day
1. Tables are set out like a cafe and NEVER like a care home all in a circle.
2. Tables are dressed with cloths, dried flowers, Biscuits, books from yesteryear, magazines etc, gives them something to do whilst waiting to start
3. A 20 Question single answer quiz is placed on each table (1 between two people) so they can do this as well and answers are given out at near end of cafe
(We once forgot to do this and we were nearly lynched lol )
4. On arrival tea and coffee is given out (free)
Cafe opens at 1.30pm then this is our agenda which is written on a whiteboard for all to see so they know whats happening that day (Always day and date the whiteboard each week as well so all can see)
1.50pm Welcome all and any updates
2pm NINE LETTER WORD please see link
http://nineletterword.tompaton.com/amscagnip/
This is where you ask all those with dementia to shout out words of three letters or more made up from nine letters but they HAVE To have designated letter IE A in each word (Please see link)
Please be aware of carers, loved ones shouting for them, it happens more than you may think, we allow some to keep it flowing, but not all
2.15 Either, (just a few suggestions)
CRAFTS or
CAKE DECORATING or
GAMES DAY
IE Dominoes, Connect Four (Always popular we have five sets lol) old-fashioned wooden bagatelles, snakes and ladders puzzles to put together (but not jigsaws, take too long) ect
or
Team games of
Play your cards right, or
Balloon Tennis or
Ten items on a board,m try to remember as many as possible
or
Famous faces, picture quiz where they have to figure out who they are, TOP TIP< always good to throw an old photo in there of two members / Volunteers gets em every time lol
or
Aroma pots where they have to guess the different Aromas
Flower arranging (Contact local florists, usually accommodating)
2.45pm TEA COFFEE AND HOME MADE CAKES
3pm Answer to a table quiz
3.05 till 3.30om
A good old sing song with song sheets is a must, or you can ask local singers to come and do a TURN LOL
we always finish off with a sing-song as its proved to light up all the electrolights in the brain and sends them home happy.
3.30pm Always have someone stood at the door to say goodbye, wish them well and to say see you next week, so important.
My dear friends, i hope this helps and if anybody wants to know any more, please just ask and let's fill the world with PURPLE ANGEL MEMORY CAFES xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

FOOTNOTE

You do not have to have a diagnosis of dementia to come, dont want to leave anybody out, especially those who are so worried about thier memory

We are totally self-funded, and raise our own funds via tea dances, sponsored walks and donations on the door, we never ever charge for tea/coffee entertainment or Entrance

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Sounds a bit hectic Norm. The one we go to usually has one or other of these activities, and always music from a CD or they have a singing teacher who comes most months, but a bit more time at the start for chatting. C is not big on crafts, but she loves the music and I find the crafts very therapeutic.
I like your volunteers making sure everyone is welcomed and helped to leave, ours could be a bit more organised on that score. They, along with the music memories concerts we go to, are invaluable to both of us. Good luck with the Purple Angel cafes, you and your volunteers are doing a grand job.

Malalie

Sep 1, 2016
Sounds amazing Norm. What a great afternoon out and I suspect that the helpers have as much fun as the customers. Thanks for sharing XX

Rolypoly

Jan 15, 2018
Sounds a lot of fun. My pwd goes to a weekly memory cafe which she enjoys. Not all participants, or guests, have dementia, they just go for the social aspect. All are welcome. Afternoon tea is served, finger sandwiches, scones, cakes, along with tea in china cups, all to make it special. They have different activities every week, games, quizzes, guest entertainers. They’ve even had a couple of trips out. Everyone has input and is made to feel valued and seems to enjoy themselves.

Keep up the good work.

Excuse my ignorance but why purple angel?

Norrms

Feb 19, 2009
Torquay Devon
Well, since being diagnosed, in all my writings i have always called Elaine my wife, my "Angel" as if it wasn't for her i would not be here.
When i asked for a logo 4 years ago for the dementia campaign a very good friend of mine whos mum had dementia (sadly passed now) sent me a squiggle of a purple Angel saying the Angel was after Elaine and the colour purple is a healing colour, the rest, as they say, is history as we are now recognised in over 55 countries worldwide and have over 800 Purple Angel dementia ambassadors globally xxxxxxxxx

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kiabarbour