Pureed Vegetables

SWMBO1950

Nov 17, 2011
Essex
Due to swallowing problems (have apointment to see ENT shortly) I am pureeing my mums veg as well as mashing/cutting things up very small.

Does anyone else puree vegetable and if so which ones apart from carrots do you find are best?

I did some peas but it was still not right so far the carrots seem the best.

Any advice welcome. :)

FifiMo

Feb 10, 2010
Wiltshire
In my experience, root vegetables purée best as they don't have as much moisture in them. What you can do however with things like peas or cauliflower or broccoli is to add potato when pureeing as this absorbs the excess fluid. You can also sprinkle in some Smash type potato powder to thicken it too.

If your mum is on thickening powder you can add some of that to get the right consistency too.

Save any spare veg by pureeing it then freeze it in ice cube trays. Same goes with gravy too.

Fiona

sistermillicent

Jan 30, 2009
I like swede but you have to cook it for a long time. Maybe the root ones are the nicest pureed.
Cauliflower is ok but quite watery. Pureed fruit is much nicer, could you not worry too much about the veg and do fruit instead (not with sausage and mash, obviously)

Jayp

Sep 12, 2013
Temple Ewell, Dover
Due to swallowing problems (have apointment to see ENT shortly) I am pureeing my mums veg as well as mashing/cutting things up very small.

Does anyone else puree vegetable and if so which ones apart from carrots do you find are best?

I did some peas but it was still not right so far the carrots seem the best.

Any advice welcome. :)

Doing everything separately makes them taste better, hand blender good for this too. Sweet potato goes really well, can be cooked as a jacket and is very tasty.

chris53

Nov 9, 2009
London
Swmbo, sweetcorn is really good, as it has also got fibre, (also mushrooms) and you can also add butter or cream to these - if allowed - as it makes "mush"more tasty - sprouts also are good if mum likes these :)
Hope you get lots of ideas and hoping sone of these will help mum;)
Take care
Chris x

tiggs72

Jul 15, 2013
Try adding some grated cheese to add a little bit more taste.

It sounds daft but the little tins of spaghetti with mini sausages (really soft) purée well too.

Bananas and pear a nice combo too!

X

Witzend

Aug 29, 2007
SW London
I like swede but you have to cook it for a long time. Maybe the root ones are the nicest pureed.

in winter I often make a thick 'root soup' - potato, carrot, onion and swede, with milk and butter added at the end to make it creamy, and liquidised in the pan with with a hand blender. With some nice grated cheese on top this makes a good meal and it also freezes well.

SWMBO1950

Nov 17, 2011
Essex
Thank you all for taking the time to respond.

Mum is not on any thickener as so long as I give pasta (chopped up) mince, fish and prueed veg she does ok. Her problem is not helped by putting too much in her mouth in one go - something she has always done (very few teeth left at 98) so a tea spoon and fork do the trick.

I tend not to have probs with desert as I go for rice pud with a dollop of jam, trifle, fruit jelly, bananas & custard, plus individual puds cut up with custard.

Will give your ideas a try :)

I will be glad when the ENT appointment gets here then I can ascertain whether it's the dementia or something else then I will know what I am dealing with.

zeeeb

Pumpkin soup is great, and you can make it alot thicker by not adding anywhere near the liquid. My pumpkin soup contains, pumpkin, carrot, parsnip, swede, cauliflower, potato, cream and stock powder, I add only the tiniest minimal amount of water so it's really thick. If you want more calories in it, add more cream, it'll be nicer anyway and it's full of nutrition. Then it tastes nice, as opposed to baby food vegie type puree.

I also make a dahl which has chickpeas, carrot, cauliflower, pumpkin, zucchini in it (i do this to hide vegies for my kids). They love it, I love it, most people I make it for love it. Depends on his tastes, but he may like something like that. It's a thick soup consistency and can be made thicker or more liquid depending on what his needs are.