Pureed diet

glory69

Jun 26, 2020
Long-time lurker (years!), now first-time poster. This forum has been incredibly helpful, thank you.

My 85 year-old mother is in end-stage vascular dementia, cared for at home by my father and a team of carers. 3 months ago she was hospitalised for a broken wrist. She is fussy with food and did not want to eat much of the hospital food, plus was not happy being out of her normal surroundings. A SALT assessment was done in the hospital, saying she needed pureed food.

On return home, she made a good improvement and was able to eat normally. She has had two setbacks since then – a UTI and now what we assume to be a TIA. Each has brought a decline in her condition, yet she is still able to eat, slowly, her normal food. For example, cheese on toast cut into small squares which she eats using her fingers.

My father does not want to start the pureed food diet as it seems to be the one thing remaining that my mother can still do and which gives some quality of life. All else is gone – mobility, communication, interest in surroundings etc. The carers are saying he could be in serious trouble and be accused of negligence, leading to SS sweeping in, safeguarding triggered, and removal of my mother ultimately, which would be much to his distress and undoubtedly, hers too. My father is furious that, as her constant companion, he apparently cannot be relied upon to be the best judge of my mother’s needs – throughout her condition her best interests and quality of life have been his priority

He has requested a new SALT assessment via the GP, but meanwhile, does anyone have any views as to how seriously we should be taking this? Is there no scope for the use of one's own judgement in this sort of thing?

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
In his last days after a hip break my husband was put on a puréed diet and thickened liquids. I don't think he enjoyed anything after that not even his tea. If I had taken him home from hospital I would have tried him on a different texture too and definitely would have left his tea alone.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Welcome to Dementia Talking Point @glory69 . I’m glad you’ve found the forum useful over the years.

There are many things which relatives are allowed to do which carers are not (even though, in my opinion, it would be common sense for them to try) but rules are rules! I suspect the carers are applying the rules they have to abide by to you father and he should be able to use his own judgement. If the carers are making the meals perhaps your dad could do this instead until the salt assessment is completed.

The last thing SS want to do is sweep in and put someone in a carehome. I wouldn’t worry too much.

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
If there is a problem, the SALT assessment should clarify things. Perhaps avoiding some of the more difficult foods such as rice should be avoided, but the assessment should sort that out.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breazkrissy