Puréed food

liz56

Feb 15, 2015
North Somerset
Feeling sad for my dad today. He lives with us and has few pleasures left in life, really enjoys his food. His favourites are fish & chips, roast dinner, prawns, omelette , grapes. Now all not allowed as S &LT appointment confirmed that he is aspirating his food- which we had thought for a while. So now he is on blended mush, and thickened drinks:(
So that's his pub lunches finished, and family Sunday lunches will not be the same if he is eating baby food!

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
He can still have al those things though. A very eggy/milky omelette with very finely chopped prawns ( blitz them in a blender) sounds yum.

The taste of mashed melon isn't that dissimilar to grapes...

When you puree his food, keep the food separate- blend his veg, and plate it, then his meat with gravy, Roasties might be difficult but soft buttery mash?

Be inventive and maybe addextra taste to things- puree'd chicken can be bland, but if you shove a garlic clove up its jumper- adds lots of taste.

Present food hot and help him enjoy it.

my old dad, when poorly in hospital would quite honestly scoff part frozen plum puree! I'd cook them, blend them then freeze in portions,

Last edited:

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
If you give off baby food vibes, he'll think it's baby food. If you present it in a yummy way, he might enjoy it. It's all a matter of perspective.

liz56

Feb 15, 2015
North Somerset
It's just so unfair ( as with everything to do with dementia !), it's a symptom which we were not expecting for years yet - but of course everyone is different. He is still mobile, still talking , does not get infections, looks fit for his age, but is losing the ability to swallow safely.
The list of safe foods is very limited, but yes we will need to be inventive.

As for us, it's just one more task to add to the pressure!

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
My husband has puréed meals. His plate is set out the same as it would be normally. Today he had chicken, cauliflower, broccoli and mashed potatoes. His desert is always a mousse made by the chef but today because it was chocolate sponge and custard he had that. I mashed it all up and it became a paste but it tasted good, I tried it.

Yesterday he had sausage, beans and mash. Most foods will blend down and put on a plate as a normal meal look appetising as well.

His drinks are thickened too and they taste normal. Tea does not look good thickened but again there is no change in the taste. My husband prefers cold drinks now.

7dayweekend

Feb 21, 2015
You can get pureed food moulds that you can use to mould food back into something not unlike its original shape.

Easily found on google.

patsy56

Jan 14, 2015
Fife Scotland
I thought I saw another thread with pureed food, what we had a few days ago was a well know brand starting with "P" they also do tinned fish, and it was chicken in white sause the chicken shredded will and lots of sauce, we had with smash