Pulll ups?

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
I've had a few occasions now where Mil has completely flooded the bed, despite her wearing the most absorbant tenna pull ups that I've been able to find. She's still tending to get up at least once in the night to go to the loo, so I don't think nappy style pads will work, as she will just remove them.

Has anyone come accross a brand of pull ups that are very, very absorbant, please? The wet beds are not just hard work to deal with in terms of the stripping and remaking, plus the washing, but they can also distress Mil quite a bit :(

Thanks xxxx

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
Another tip we've found that's helpful to minimise distress in the night is to double up the layers on the mattress.

That is to say, on the mattress, a layer of whatever waterproof/absorbant sheet you're using, with a top sheet on top of that, then another waterproof/absorbant sheet on top of that and another top sheet on top of that.

Then if your MiL has an accident in the night you can take off the uppermost layer of top sheet/waterproof sheet, leaving the (hopefully dry!) lower layer in place so that she can just get back into bed without you having to make the bed up again.

Meanwhile, toss the upper layer that you've removed into the bath to be dealt with in the morning.

My dad has found this tip really helpful - one of the only tips that has worked for us!

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
I know you might not want to try waking her ( a bit like lifting a toddler) when you go to bed, but have you considered " watering" her at bedtime? if she used a commode then, it might help her to last the night better.

I appreciate there could be an element of risk that she wakes up then, but .....:confused:would that be worse that the status quo?

sleepless

Feb 19, 2010
The Sweet North
Whatever I have tried with hubby for night incontinence has leaked to some extent.
If I want to find a dry bed in the morning, I have to wake him to have a pee, sometimes once is enough, but not always.
Just lately I have let him sleep through, resulting in wet pj's and bedpad. I always put plenty of cream on his bottom, for extra protection from the urine.
I have also found that the amount of urine varies, not always tallying with the amount of drinks he has had.
I have gone from using my washing machine two or three times a week to at least two lots each day, not just due to incontinence, but napkins used at mealtimes etc. It all adds up doesn't it?

Mal2

Oct 14, 2014
Enfield
I've had a few occasions now where Mil has completely flooded the bed, despite her wearing the most absorbant tenna pull ups that I've been able to find. She's still tending to get up at least once in the night to go to the loo, so I don't think nappy style pads will work, as she will just remove them.

Has anyone come accross a brand of pull ups that are very, very absorbant, please? The wet beds are not just hard work to deal with in terms of the stripping and remaking, plus the washing, but they can also distress Mil quite a bit :(

Thanks xxxx

I had this trouble with my husband. There is no complete solution, other than getting her up during the night. However, I have found a less wet solution for him.

I use (Tena slip) the diaper type pads which have the sticky tapes at the side, with a (Tena comfort ) pad inside it. I do not think there is much difference between makes, only the absorbency. my husband has the Super Plus, ( 9 tear drops sign ). They would not supply him with the Xtra Super Plus, 10 drops ( too much money I suppose). Put the elastic type knickers they supply with the comfort pads over the top and hopefully she will not try to remove them.

I put the bed protectors under him, no sheet. There will be leakage, as water finds it's level. usually from the waist. My washing is usually the bed protector and sheet from on top of him each day. He does not have anything to drink after 5pm. I do not put pyjamas on him. He just has the pads on at night. (For modesty a bra too for her?) I hope this way may work for you. Good luck.

Last edited:

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
I also don't put PJs on him and don't wake him at night. The Kylie sheet takes a lot of the wetness as whatever I put on him in terms of pads will get wet through. That has less to do with absorbency but with anatomy. You will not have that problem with females but males can wee in different directions! Tena told me they don't advise doubling up on pads and their inlays are only for use with mesh pants, whatever they are, but I don't see why it can't be tried.
Incontinence is an expensive hobby! It isn't just the pads, protectors and sheets, it's also the washing. OH wraps the duvet around him so that gets wet too plus sometimes the pillow!

Last edited:

Mal2

Oct 14, 2014
Enfield
I also don't put PJs on him and don't wake him at night. The Kylie sheet takes a lot of the wetness as whatever I put on him in terms of pads will get wet through. That has less to do with absorbency but with anatomy. You will not have that problem with females but males can wee in different directions! Tena told me they don't advise doubling up on pads and their inlays are only for use with mesh pants, whatever they are, but I don't see why it can't be tried.
Incontinence is an expensive hobby! It isn't just the pads, protectors and sheets, it's also the washing. OH wraps the duvet around him so that gets wet too plus sometimes the pillow!

Hi Beate

Contact your Doctor, they will arrange for incontinence provider to supply to you free. (If you haven't already got this service, that is). They will want to know how many pads/pull ups etc he uses during the day and night.

The mesh pants are an elastic type Knicker, which are pulled up over the pad. :)

Katrine

Jan 20, 2011
England
We have tried everything on the market for my mum. The Lille ones are good, as are AgeUK. Tena 8 drop pull-ups were the most absorbent but she still needed lifting at 2am for either the toilet or a change of pull-ups to see her through until morning. This was disruptive and tiring for her, and for her carers.

Now she cannot use the toilet any more and wouldn't be able to remove her incontinence wear, so we use the nappy style pads. As you know, these really give the best protection. Even with those, there are still some nights when her bed is wet, even up to her pillow and hair. She must be peeing gallons! :eek:

In our experience, restricting drinks in the evening makes little difference. My mum is so prone to UTIs that we want to keep her drinking water as much as she is able to, little and often. Her kidneys work on overtime at night. Once she is lying down her body removes the excess fluid that has built up during the day. Her heart is failing so this fluid build-up is something we can't change. The district nurses agree that restricting her drinks would make no difference to the nocturnal excretion of excess water.

Mal2

Oct 14, 2014
Enfield
Thanks, I get some for free but not enough so have to buy the rest in.

OK. Same here. We are allowed 4 comfort changes during the day and one slip for the night. Not much when you have to get them up during the night. Like you I purchase extras usually the Depend pull ups, they each have their virtues for different occasions.:)

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Thanks everyone :)

CG, thats a good tip - thank you :)

Mil won't accept nappy style pads, even though I know they usually have better absorbency than the pull ups. She is still going to the loo independently often during the night and she would just remove them. I've tried slip pads in nettie pants, and have had her either removing the pads completely or, when she has gone to the loo, not repositioning them correctly. If she wakes up wet in the night, she will strip off the sheet, kylie and then place pillow cases , pillows and even her dressing gown over the bed to lie back down on - I've had to throw away a lot of pillows as she removes even waterproof cases, and I've just ordered completely waterproof pillows (along with a bed that I can raise the height of to make changing the bedding easier for me).

I think we will have to try waking her at say midnight and sending her to the loo, as suggested - but as even when we know she has got up herself, it hasn't seemed to make a lot of difference, not sure if it will work :( We are limiting drinks after 7 - but due to past issues with constipation and UTI's, its a balancing act, getting the liquid levels low enough to help without possibly causing her problems in other area's.

I've ordered 2 packs of the pull ups that jeany gave me the link too - they have a higher absorbency rating than the pull ups from the continence clinic and the tenna super range - they are a lot cheaper than the tenna range too, so if nothing else, will save Mil a bit of money!

Thanks for all the advice, everyone - I think we are just going to have to try a lot of the things that you have suggested between you - and hope we can hit on something that helps xxxx

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
Last edited:

Katrine

Jan 20, 2011
England
Maxi is the absorbency and obviously you can get different sizes... I would be very interested if anyone can point me to more absorbent pull-ups.

These are the most absorbent that I have found.

Available in Medium and Large, but not X Large.

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
I think these, with a claimed absorption of virtually 3 litres, are the most absorbent pull-ups you can get:

http://www.ageukincontinence.co.uk/tena-i-pants-i-maxi-medium-80-110cm-32-42in-pack-of-10.html

Shop around and buy in bulk (4 or 8 packs) if you can. You're looking for Tena pants not slips. Maxi is the absorbency and obviously you can get different sizes.

I would be very interested if anyone can point me to more absorbent pull-ups.

Wow 3 litres if they were full you would need strong muscles to carry them to the bin,:) I must remember them in case we need them in the future,Thank you stanley x

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
Yes, you can actually feel the weight! As they are expensive I don't use them all the time but I haven't had any leakage from them. The problem with separate pads and pants only became apparent when Sue had to be changed whilst lying on the bed. Every time you roll the person to pull up the pants, the pad is liable to become dislodged. I've still got a backlog of pads to use up, including the very inadequate, for our purposes, ones the council continence service provide.

Essie

Feb 11, 2015
I do remember a son at my Mum's nursing home who used these for his Mum and he did say he needed both hands to carry to the used pad to the bin each morning as it always weighed so much.... the real trick of course Ann will be getting Mil to keep them on....

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Well, Wenesday and Thursday nights were dry, though the pad was wet the bed was fine and the only difference I could see was that Mil - who usually wears a nightie - had pyjama's on. Friday, new 'more absorbant' pulls ups had arrived, so I was hopeful that they combined with the pj's would work. She went to the loo just after midnight and was dry then - but come Sat morning, bed and Mil soaked :( I'd double encased the pillow in two waterproof cases, with a third cotton case on top - she had removed just two of the cases, so at least the pillow stayed dry, which was a small bonus at least. I'd also put a kylie on the bed, but the wet patch exceeded the size of the kylie, so all that meant was an extra item to wash - oh, and to add to the fun, my tumble dryer decided to die - thank goodness we'd held on to the one from Mils old house, so had a handy substitute!

I guess the next ones to try are the ones that stanley has posted a link to - thank you for that stanley x