Pulling everything together

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
Thank you for this, my morale has taken a hit lately even though he has stabilised, while things were bad I held it altogether and gritted my teeth and carried on. I have every admiration for you and your devoted care but hope you are concentrating on yourself and your well being now. I think it’s a form of PTSD which carers suffer from. Did you see the article in the Times main news about the populations unpreparedness for the dementia epidemic coming? Thank goodness I got LPAs in place because I needed to use it last week. hugs
Oh my dear, yes and thank you. No one will look the dementia epidemic in the face except us carers who have no choice. I know it sounds strange, but being with beloved Keith most days is essential to my well being, at the moment anyway!
So very good to hear from you and thank you so much. Gxx

Grahamstown

Jan 12, 2018
East of England
Oh my dear, yes and thank you. No one will look the dementia epidemic in the face except us carers who have no choice. I know it sounds strange, but being with beloved Keith most days is essential to my well being, at the moment anyway!
So very good to hear from you and thank you so much. Gxx
Good to hear from you too and if being with Keith is essential then of course that is what you should be doing but I also hope that your personal well being is not neglected. I am now with my dear husband most of the time but I do value a break. I think I would feel much the same as you if he was in a CH so know what you mean. His ex-student who takes him out to lunch from time to time, took him again today and reported that his memory loss is now much worse than the last time he took him. It is so good for him to be with someone else whom he trusts and I can relax my vigilance for a short time. I feel very fortunate with those around me.

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
Good to hear from you too and if being with Keith is essential then of course that is what you should be doing but I also hope that your personal well being is not neglected. I am now with my dear husband most of the time but I do value a break. I think I would feel much the same as you if he was in a CH so know what you mean. His ex-student who takes him out to lunch from time to time, took him again today and reported that his memory loss is now much worse than the last time he took him. It is so good for him to be with someone else whom he trusts and I can relax my vigilance for a short time. I feel very fortunate with those around me.
Oh thank you and that sounds good. It is all about being vigilant all the time, isn't it? I think I lived on adrehaline (can't spell it). that is so lovely about his ex student. Oh my dear, I'm going to melt with this heat. So good to hear from you!
Gxx

Grahamstown

Jan 12, 2018
East of England
This quote from an article refers to bereavement: “it (loneliness) comes from a lack of intimacy and sharing little conversations about everyday things with someone you love.” I thought that I feel a bit like this even though I am not alone in body, I do feel alone in mind.

Mudgee Joy

Dec 26, 2017
New South Wales Australia
That is a good quote @Grahamstown !
And I remind myself often that this period of my life is likely to be the best of the rest of my life because of the potential loneliness in the future!
I often forget the limitations of dementia and tell my husband this or that in some detail / then his response might bring me right back to ground. But I am sometimes pleased when he doesn’t answer because his imagined answer allows my conversation to flow :)

carolynp

Mar 4, 2018
And I remind myself often that this period of my life is likely to be the best of the rest of my life because of the potential loneliness in the future!
I often forget the limitations of dementia and tell my husband this or that in some detail / then his response might bring me right back to ground. But I am sometimes pleased when he doesn’t answer because his imagined answer allows my conversation to flow :)
You both put this so well! I am full to the brim with both sets of feelings at the moment and your words have touched me deeply. I too feel lonely, despite not being alone, like @Grahamstown, and I too keep reminding myself that real physical as well as emotional loneliness lies ahead. Like @Mudgee Joy, I am telling myself I must enjoy this companionable stage with my OH for what it is, never mind how much it’s based on pretence and compromise, lest I look back with yearning later, and wish I’d enjoyed it more.

Thanks so much to you both, on a somewhat somber Sunday evening here in Perth. I’m exhausted from unpacking the 30. boxes of household goods and books that had to be stored while the painters were here. My back is so sore! My OH tried to help but ...

Grahamstown

Jan 12, 2018
East of England
Yes this happens to me too, more often than I would like.

Grahamstown

Jan 12, 2018
East of England
You both put this so well! I am full to the brim with both sets of feelings at the moment and your words have touched me deeply. I too feel lonely, despite not being alone, like @Grahamstown, and I too keep reminding myself that real physical as well as emotional loneliness lies ahead. Like @Mudgee Joy, I am telling myself I must enjoy this companionable stage with my OH for what it is, never mind how much it’s based on pretence and compromise, lest I look back with yearning later, and wish I’d enjoyed it more.

Thanks so much to you both, on a somewhat somber Sunday evening here in Perth. I’m exhausted from unpacking the 30. boxes of household goods and books that had to be stored while the painters were here. My back is so sore! My OH tried to help but ...
I am so sorry dear friend and you are in my thoughts. The other thought that occurred to me is that nobody can replace the person with whom we used to share so much. I have read on TP before that it is a bit like a bereavement, and I definitely feel that I have been through the stages and now have landed in acceptance.

carolynp

Mar 4, 2018
I am so sorry dear friend and you are in my thoughts. The other thought that occurred to me is that nobody can replace the person with whom we used to share so much. I have read on TP before that it is a bit like a bereavement, and I definitely feel that I have been through the stages and now have landed in acceptance.
Yes Dear One I was saying this to my friend of 45 years the other day. She lives in London but we speak two or three times a week. I know I need intellectual companionship, and I think about ways to achieve this - but it’s my OHs mind I want to engage with, as in the past - I don’t really want a reading group or seminar, even though I could set this up or seek it out without too much trouble. I just know it would feel like the shadow of what I’m yearning for, not the substance. And anyway I’m so tired looking after OH! It’s funny actually because now if he’s quiet, I have to go and check what he’s up to, exactly the way one does with young children!

But I have to say getting him to watch boxed sets on my old iPad has been a stroke of genius. I managed to get him interested in the Sopranos and ... we’re away! Three episodes a night and a nice long series.

Grahamstown

Jan 12, 2018
East of England
@carolynp amazing, because my husband is watching things he would never have watched before and we are into the second round of viewing several series one of which is Foyle’s War. We watched episode 1 of Series 1 and he said ‘have we seen this?’ and remembered one or two things but not the story at all, and enjoyed it very much. Fortunately it is very good. As for the football, it has been a godsend during the doldrums of summer heat, yes it must be nearly 30C today again, not much for your neck of the woods, but very hot here. P.S. I am feeling quite tired too for no apparent reason.

imsoblue

Feb 19, 2018
Yes Dear One I was saying this to my friend of 45 years the other day. She lives in London but we speak two or three times a week. I know I need intellectual companionship, and I think about ways to achieve this - but it’s my OHs mind I want to engage with, as in the past - I don’t really want a reading group or seminar, even though I could set this up or seek it out without too much trouble. I just know it would feel like the shadow of what I’m yearning for, not the substance. And anyway I’m so tired looking after OH! It’s funny actually because now if he’s quiet, I have to go and check what he’s up to, exactly the way one does with young children!

But I have to say getting him to watch boxed sets on my old iPad has been a stroke of genius. I managed to get him interested in the Sopranos and ... we’re away! Three episodes a night and a nice long series.
@carolyn, your comments about "the shadow...not the substance" is kin to what my OH says. He wants to play golf. Not going to happen. A counselor suggested he put a putting strip in our hallway and try putting. Oh no, he exclaimed, if he couldn't play real golf, he wasn't going to just putt. Another example, now that he's in a home, is he wants to go to a Parkinson's kick-boxing class at a work out club. Yet, he won't go to exercise class at 9:30 every morning at his home. He says they just exercise their fingers. He wants to hit a boxing bag. Not going to happen. Even the doctor demonstrated to him how those finger exercising would be beneficial to him. So I told him this story. Say you want a Mercedes Benz for a car but you can only afford a Toyota (don't know how this translates. Mercedes are expensive, Toyota not so much.). You don't want a Toyota, only the Mercedes. So, do you do without a car!!!??? I lost my best friend and evening conversationalist in OH. It hurts. I now go to a book club once a month with strangers. I've been twice and a new friend emerged this week. It does help. And if you can escape OH for few hours, it really helps. I went to the first meeting because he was home. The second one I forced myself to go to.
Your conversations on TP are so valuable to all of us. I can only imagine how things were between you and your husband. We all know your pain. Oh, how I wish I could help each and every one of us!
I cannot believe that y'all are watching The Soprano's! We did not watch it when it originally aired and just watched it this past year. It was so difficult to go to work the next day and want to share things like "can you believe he killed her?" when no one else was watching it!!!??? I was an extra in a movie that James Gandolfini was starring in. He came to the parking garage where the extras had gathered for make-up and dinner. He ATE dinner with the extras! He was a class of a guy. They are also making a prequel to it.
My OH TV habits have changed to a love of comedy (mostly silly) shows. The brain is a funny thing. So many changes happening.
This got so long because it's a lonely Sunday morning. @carolyn, yes, be glad you need to go check on him (I had that feeling a lot...like a child). Now he's in a home.
Thank you for being here for those like me.

GinnyJan

Jan 20, 2018
This quote from an article refers to bereavement: “it (loneliness) comes from a lack of intimacy and sharing little conversations about everyday things with someone you love.” I thought that I feel a bit like this even though I am not alone in body, I do feel alone in mind.

This is exactly how I have been feeling today. My head is full of funny little things the grandchildren have done and said and I want to tell OH and Mum about them, but they can't follow the stories and don't see the 'punch line'. The loneliness comes from not being able to share experiences and hold a conversation. It's very, very sad :(

carolynp

Mar 4, 2018
@carolyn, your comments about "the shadow...not the substance" is kin to what my OH says. He wants to play golf. Not going to happen. A counselor suggested he put a putting strip in our hallway and try putting. Oh no, he exclaimed, if he couldn't play real golf, he wasn't going to just putt. Another example, now that he's in a home, is he wants to go to a Parkinson's kick-boxing class at a work out club. Yet, he won't go to exercise class at 9:30 every morning at his home. He says they just exercise their fingers. He wants to hit a boxing bag. Not going to happen. Even the doctor demonstrated to him how those finger exercising would be beneficial to him. So I told him this story. Say you want a Mercedes Benz for a car but you can only afford a Toyota (don't know how this translates. Mercedes are expensive, Toyota not so much.). You don't want a Toyota, only the Mercedes. So, do you do without a car!!!??? I lost my best friend and evening conversationalist in OH. It hurts. I now go to a book club once a month with strangers. I've been twice and a new friend emerged this week. It does help. And if you can escape OH for few hours, it really helps. I went to the first meeting because he was home. The second one I forced myself to go to.
Your conversations on TP are so valuable to all of us. I can only imagine how things were between you and your husband. We all know your pain. Oh, how I wish I could help each and every one of us!
I cannot believe that y'all are watching The Soprano's! We did not watch it when it originally aired and just watched it this past year. It was so difficult to go to work the next day and want to share things like "can you believe he killed her?" when no one else was watching it!!!??? I was an extra in a movie that James Gandolfini was starring in. He came to the parking garage where the extras had gathered for make-up and dinner. He ATE dinner with the extras! He was a class of a guy. They are also making a prequel to it.
My OH TV habits have changed to a love of comedy (mostly silly) shows. The brain is a funny thing. So many changes happening.
This got so long because it's a lonely Sunday morning. @carolyn, yes, be glad you need to go check on him (I had that feeling a lot...like a child). Now he's in a home.
Thank you for being here for those like me.
Hello imsoblue and many, many thanks for all you say. I shall bear in mind the car analogy and not let myself get too choosy. In fact it looks as though a group of honorary research fellows like me will start occasional meetings together to counteract the isolation and discuss our work. When the offer came I knew I had to make myself express interest, and I’ve done so.

I only watched The Sopranos a year or so ago and like you was too late to be able to discuss it with anyone who’d seen it ages before! But above all what is this other life of yours??? An extra???!!! You’ve waited this long before confessing this??? And how absolutely amazing to have met with the late, great James Gandolfini!

carolynp

Mar 4, 2018
And you have landed feet first! It may not feel like it but I think you are coping incredibly well. Plus the cruise and all!

carolynp

Mar 4, 2018
Go
@carolynp amazing, because my husband is watching things he would never have watched before and we are into the second round of viewing several series one of which is Foyle’s War. We watched episode 1 of Series 1 and he said ‘have we seen this?’ and remembered one or two things but not the story at all, and enjoyed it very much. Fortunately it is very good. As for the football, it has been a godsend during the doldrums of summer heat, yes it must be nearly 30C today again, not much for your neck of the woods, but very hot here. P.S. I am feeling quite tired too for no apparent reason.
Gosh Foyles War is a good idea, pace is about right. I’ll put it on my list. I’d love him to watch The Wire but I think it will be too complicated, plus the accents and argot. We need to keep sharing ideas here!

I had to laugh yesterday. As you all know, as the whole world now knows, I have been doing mini renovations. Latest is, I have been unpacking book boxes, packed away while painters were here. 30 of them. Heavy books. So anyway I got to no. 11 yesterday (yes, believe me, I AM counting!) and emptied it and asked OH to flatten the 5 I’d done and put them in the back seat of the car to take to the tip. He asked me to explain how to flatten them so I carefully taught him until he’d got it.

I went back inside the house. He did NOTHING but came by a couple of minutes later and said with great dignity and formality, “I have to go and sweep up the leaves now. You are free to occupy yourself in any way you choose.”

So what could I do but go and flatten the xxxx boxes and put them in the car?!

Hi Mudge I bet this rings a few bells over your way too! @Mudgee Joy

imsoblue

Feb 19, 2018
Go

Gosh Foyles War is a good idea, pace is about right. I’ll put it on my list. I’d love him to watch The Wire but I think it will be too complicated, plus the accents and argot. We need to keep sharing ideas here!

I had to laugh yesterday. As you all know, as the whole world now knows, I have been doing mini renovations. Latest is, I have been unpacking book boxes, packed away while painters were here. 30 of them. Heavy books. So anyway I got to no. 11 yesterday (yes, believe me, I AM counting!) and emptied it and asked OH to flatten the 5 I’d done and put them in the back seat of the car to take to the tip. He asked me to explain how to flatten them so I carefully taught him until he’d got it.

I went back inside the house. He did NOTHING but came by a couple of minutes later and said with great dignity and formality, “I have to go and sweep up the leaves now. You are free to occupy yourself in any way you choose.”

Thanks for the laugh! I wish we had cameras around to record all of this~
RE being an extra, it was in 2006. This was my 2nd movie. (I’m laughing because being an extra is almost like being a fly.) It was called “All The King’s Men” and was about our political figure Huey Long and took place around 1950. Sean Penn was the star and he brought his wife at the time, Robin Wright Penn, It also had Jude Law and Mark Ruffalo. I was quite star struck.
Now this is funny...I got a costume for this part! I went to pick it up I said, “I’m poor?” The girl replied, “We call it rural.” I also had to wash my hair with a browning color to lose the blonde look and put Bobby pins in it. As the make-up lady was doing my make-up she kept scrubbing my eyelids until she finally asked if I had permanent eyeliner on. (Yes, yes, yes I have black lines tattooed as eyeliner on my eyes.) Well, that wasn’t appropriate for being “rural” so she got make-up and covered it up. I tell this story to let others know how meticulous movies are. I was in a crowd of 500 people AT NIGHT outside in the dark and even cut from the final movie but I can guarantee no one saw my eyeliner!
I have the DVD if anybody wants their OH to watch it!!!! (That’s a joke). It was panned at the box office.
Our state started giving movie makers huge tax breaks so we became known as “Hollywood South”. The state cut it out and movie making has slowed down somewhat.
We are currently having sightings of Tom Hanks in town making a World War II movie. I sent OH to sign up for an extra for that one. He didn’t get a call back and got quite perturbed about it.

Grahamstown

Jan 12, 2018
East of England
Go

I really chuckled at this especially the dignified reply!

DeMartin

Jul 4, 2017
Kent
Go

Death in Paradise also a possible, little plot, happy endings and beautiful scenery.

Grahamstown

Jan 12, 2018
East of England
Death in Paradise also a possible, little plot, happy endings and beautiful scenery.
Yes that’s one of ours too. We can watch them over and over with suitable gaps in between mainly for my benefit! It can get tedious otherwise, but as it’s mainly character driven like Foyle’s War, it’s watchable.