Pull-up pants

SitsThere

Jan 7, 2013
A carer at mum's residential home today suggested I should try getting her pull-up pants and take away her 'real' pants to get her used to the idea of wearing the pull-ups. Does anyone have any recommendations for which ones to get ? I have little hope that mum will accept this idea coming from me but things have reached the point where we need to do something to cope with all the accidents she is having.

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
I struggled with this one, with Mil initially getting really angry each time I tried to introduce the idea of her wearing them - for bed only, at first. I had weeks and weeks of wet bedding to deal with, as she refused so firmly. In the end, at the end of a weeks respite, a carer managed to get her to wear them for just the last night, and the following night I didn't ask her or refer to them, just simply handed them to her to put on - and she did. We had weeks of her removing them during the night on a regular basis, then she started with a lot of day time 'accidents' and I made the decision she should wear them all the time, for her own sake - she would get so horribly embarressed at accidents during the day (though she continued to insist that at night the bed got wet because she 'sweats a lot' :rolleyes: ). At first, she was really indignant and a couple of times she changed into ordinary pants. I then removed all her 'ordinary pants' from her room, and since then she has more or less accepted them. If she does object, I tell her its 'just while you're getting over that infection - you don't want your clothes to get wet, do you?' - although she hasn't had any infection for ages, she mostly accepts that, thankfully, and she has pretty much stopped removing them during the night too.

Worth asking the continence nurse for some samples to try, and I discovered last week that the high absorbancy home brand from a certain supermarket (starting with 'S') is actually just as good as the more expensive brands - at £6 for 10, opposed to £14 for 12, if you have to pay for any, it could be worth trying those :)

Mannie

Mar 13, 2014
Bracknell area
A carer at mum's residential home today suggested I should try getting her pull-up pants and take away her 'real' pants to get her used to the idea of wearing the pull-ups. Does anyone have any recommendations for which ones to get ? I have little hope that mum will accept this idea coming from me but things have reached the point where we need to do something to cope with all the accidents she is having.

With my parent they didnt seem to notice !!!
We used the ones from B the chemist
If they fail then I was advised by the Bladder and Bowel Foundation Charity helpline, what was the next step up.

chelsea girl

Jan 25, 2015
I use Tena lady during the day for my mum. She has pads at nite but dont think she'd cope very well with them during the day. Tena lady are like ordinary pants and are quite absorbent. Hope that helps x

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
Absorbency rates vary greatly but maybe at this stage that's not too important. I do think the Tena pants, the only ones we've tried after years of pad and pants combinations, do feel something like 'real' pants.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
I didn't give OH a choice. We were referred to the Continence Clinic who got him Tena pull-ups. I took his normal pants away and after one "I'm not wearing THAT", he accepted it.

hvml

Oct 10, 2015
North Cornwall
My Dad took a while to get used to pull ups, but now he likes to see how well made they are and how clean and white they look. We used to buy the ones from B and found them very good, but have recently received Tena from the incontinence service. They are equally as good. I toilet him every hour and a half, which allows him to get there in time and keep him dry. He used to grumble, but has now got used to my gentle reminders and also it is keeping him mobile, with strong leg muscles.

Mal2

Oct 14, 2014
Enfield
I contacted various companies for samples of different pads, pull ups, slips, with different absorbencies, and sizes, for a small cost. Which is well worth it.

This way I could choose the most effective ones. I settled for Tena, I wouldn't have anything else. A little more in cost but really worth it for good quality and confidence.

Look at different incontinence companies online, as there are bargains, others can be quite expensive.

Jan 3, 2013
Sidcup
I didn't give my mil a choice. When I introduced the pull ups I removed all other knickers and said nothing and she fully accepts them x

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

Louby65

Mar 26, 2014
Scotland
Hi sitsthere. There is an incontinence company ( can't say name) but if you google those words I'm sure you will get it . I have ' researched ' lots of pull ups including tena but find the depend ( attends) pants the best for during the day . My mum likes them ( they are peach coloured ) as she thinks they look like ordinary pants . They have a high absorbency and I have never had any skin or odour issues with them . They come in a 'case saver' which will save you money too and you don't pay vat. Best wishes
Lou