psychological therapies

karenweech

Nov 9, 2006
Coventry
hello, mum seems to be quite depressed - she's in the early stages of alzheimers - has anyone had any experience with psychological therapies or support groups & how did you go about getting this kind of support - GP?
karen

Nell

Aug 9, 2005
Australia
Hi Karen,
I am a long term sufferer of depression and have been managing my condition for about 20 years now with medication. I found a lot of help from consulting a psychiatrist (did this for about 4 years). In my opinion, talk therapy plus medication is useful - or it has been for me.

Having said that, I have no experience of group therapy.

I am not sure how your Mum would cope in a group because I have no idea how far she is progressed with her AZ. I would think carefully about it though, because group therapy usually relies on everyone having input to the group and I would be concerned for the following reasons:
  • would it make your Mum more depressed to have to cope with the depression of others?
  • would it be possible for her to follow, to understand and to contribute to a discussion group?

I would think you might find one on one therapy a better alternative - or at least a better starting point perhaps . . .??

Does your Mum take any depression medication? It takes time to find an effective one and an effective dose, but for me it has been a life saver.

Your Mum having AZ makes the whole thing more complicated. If she is in early stages it would be very natural for her to feel very depressed about the onset of the illness. It is a devastating thing. I'm so sorry she has to put up with it. :( My thoughts are with both her and with you.
    Good luck in your search.
    Nell

karenweech

Nov 9, 2006
Coventry
hello neil, thank you so much for your kind words! & i will share them with my sisters - the important thing is for us to remain strong :)
i wish you the very best
karen

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
old ginger