Psychiatrists

Mik1929

Oct 2, 2014
I have been MWs sole career for about six years. During his time there have been periods of very bad violence both mental and physical and there was a psychiatrist involved from the start. MW is now under medication and is generally much calmer but can still be awkward if she does not agree with something.
Things could be worse and I am happy to carry on but I feel let down by the psychiatrist who seems to want to walk away as he has been transferred to another section of the same nhs group. So far this year he has not visited MW even though there should be no lest than six months between visits. Since he first got involved he has not been proactive but he does know all the background to the case and all I wanted was for one last visit to assess if the medication was still ok. MW has deteriorated to such an extent that she is unable to make a cup of tea and has to be directed to the bathroom and helped to undress etc.
I have asked the psychiatrist to visit but he refuses to even speak to me and I feel that he is acting in a very unprofessional way. We are in our mid eighties and things are dfficult but the action of this man have made things worse.
Sorry about the rant but as you know things can get you down although there are many in a worse situation
Mik1929

ElizabethAnn

Jan 4, 2014
Northumberland
Mik1929,
I can completely understand your feelings - unfortunately we have experienced the same thing in several areas with regard to Mum & Dad... Memory Consultant; Care Manager; Physiotherapist etc.... it seems that they all want to close us down off their own personal work load as soon as possible (presumably this is how their managers want them to work)...

When we need one of these people back, we call the Doctor and ask for a referral... it seems to work, for a few weeks or until the current crisis is over, then back to square one...

It's infuriating :mad:

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
Can I suggest that you go back to your GP and tell him that you want a referral to a psychiatrist and that your one has not done the 6 month review and you can't put your trust in him anymore and would like a second opinion. Sounds as though a second opinion might be helpful anyway from what you have said and we are all entitled to it.

I am so sorry that you are struggling with all of this. You are fantastic. I hope you are getting the Attendance Allowance and that you do get a carers break from Social Serices and some help from others? You have a lot to manage on your own!

Thinking of you

Mik1929

Oct 2, 2014
Can I suggest that you go back to your GP and tell him that you want a referral to a psychiatrist and that your one has not done the 6 month review and you can't put your trust in him anymore and would like a second opinion. Sounds as though a second opinion might be helpful anyway from what you have said and we are all entitled to it.

I am so sorry that you are struggling with all of this. You are fantastic. I hope you are getting the Attendance Allowance and that you do get a carers break from Social Serices and some help from others? You have a lot to manage on your own!

Thinking of you

Thank you for your kind thought and advice. I shall follow up your suggestion although I have do not have much faith in psychiatrists plus the fact that is difficult to spell!. Thank you again for your thoughts.
Mik1929

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
Thank you for your kind thought and advice. I shall follow up your suggestion although I have do not have much faith in psychiatrists plus the fact that is difficult to spell!. Thank you again for your thoughts.
Mik1929
You are welcome.
Do you belong to a local carers group? Sometimes they know they best route through locally or you could phone the Age UK helpline and they may be able to offer you advice. They have a freephone number and are open from 8am to 7pm every day of the year - 0800 169 6565

malomm

Mar 23, 2014
Campania Region, Italy
Hello Mik, sounds like you are getting the run-around instead of of the help you need and deserve, and my thoughts are with you. Funny how everyone keeps banging on about care for the elderly and dementia sufferers, lots of stuff on paper, but very little in practice. Your GP is probably the one to hound in the first instance. Your OH sounds as though she is about same stage as my Mrs m. Not easy. Just been informed her 'care plan' expires 14 Oct. but have got a Memory clinic appointment 21st. but think they aren't going to do much since they are cutting down on aricept prescriptions.
Hope you manage to get something sorted.
all the best, malomm.