Psychiatric input

purchase

Aug 31, 2005
England
Good morning everyone

I have just read through all the posts whilst having my first cup of tea of the day. I am so full of admiration for you all. You cope with so many things with great sprit and humour.

My question is this: I notice from all the posts that most of your loved ones are under the care of psychiatrists or CPN's. Mom isn't because she has moved area and was discharged by her consultant. I have asked the home to get her referred but they seem a bit slow about doing this. Should I keep pestering them. I feel that because mom is fine (apart from the AD) when she has no visitors that they are not taking this crying very seriously. I wonder if they put mom on some new medication if it would lift her mood. She is only on Venlafaxine at the moment as Aricept was stopped.

Thanks for reading. Take care of yourselves

Jacky

Kathleen

Mar 12, 2005
West Sussex
Hello Jacky

I would think about speaking to her GP yourself as the home are being a bit slow.
Even though my Mum is in a caring home, we like to be kept up to date on her care and have, on occasions spoken to the GP and her psychiatrist on her behalf.

It is a similar situation to having a child, in that the nature of the disease means a spokesperson needs to be there with them for consultations and so on, where possible we make sure a family member is there.

No matter how good the staff are, there is always a question you would like to ask, and it makes sense to have an answer at the time of consultation.

Hope your Mum gets sorted out with a good mix of medication soon. Enjoy your day.

Kathleen
xx

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
Morning Jackie
I would have a word with the GP,Mum has got one I presume.
You need to keep you options open and the GP is the first link in the chain.
Good luck
Norman

Diane Scott

Oct 7, 2005
West Midlands
Hi Jackie, from what I read it sounds as if your Mum is a little deperssed. Depression is often evident in people suffering with dementia but is sadly SO often ignored by GP's as just part of the illness. The Alzheimer's Society has some information that may be helpfull and useful to you. Armed with information you could perhaps ask the staff again to refer to a consultant or at the very least get the GP involved. You have to remember that the doctor is a GENERAL practitioner and NOT an expert in dementia - sadly!

purchase

Aug 31, 2005
England
Dear Diane

You have so hit the nail on the head. Mom has suffered from depression all her life and we have said all along that she is depressed. It seems that once they have the diagnosis of AD all other symptoms are ignored or banded together. If the depression could be lifted a little then we could take mom out a little more. It is difficult to do this at the moment because of the crying. I tend to protect mom by not putting her into a situation where people are staring at her.

Thanks all for your advice. I will get to see mom's GP.

Jacky

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JL513