Psych won't prescribe aricept

SAP

Feb 18, 2017
Mum has been diagnosed with "possible Alzheimer's" . She lives alone and I live 300 miles away. The psychiatrist will not allow her to have her recommended prescription because I'm not there to monitor this. Surely that is not the only option. Mum is happy to buy a pill dispenser but the psychiatrist is not happy with that ! I feel a bit stuck is this normal??

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
The psychiatrist is acting correctly:

Treatment should be initiated and supervised by a physician experienced in the diagnosis and treatment of Alzheimer's dementia. Diagnosis should be made according to accepted guidelines (e.g. DSM IV, ICD 10). Therapy with donepezil should only be started if a caregiver is available who will regularly monitor drug intake for the patient
Section 4.2
https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/product/294

There could also be concern about adverse reactions in the absence of a caregiver.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Well this is the perfect opportunity to ring Adult Social Services in her area to request a daily carers visit to prompt her to take her medication, as otherwise your mother would not be able to get the medication she should have for her condition. Ask the consultant to put this in writing so you can forward it to them. Surely they don't want to be accused of obstructing a vulnerable person's medical treatment!

SAP

Feb 18, 2017
Yes Beate thank you, this is the kind of info I was looking for. Basically I was told it was my responsibility and that was it with no info on what to do. However Mum is still vey independent and I’m worried that she would not qualify for this kind of help....but I can try.

SAP

Feb 18, 2017
Yes Nitam I have already read the science bit , I came on here looking for more practical advice as to how to overcome this, surely my mum is not the only person in th UK not to have caregivers on her doorstep. If you have any advice on that I would be grateful.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Yes Nitam I have already read the science bit , I came on here looking for more practical advice as to how to overcome this, surely my mum is not the only person in th UK not to have caregivers on her doorstep. If you have any advice on that I would be grateful.

Your question was
... is this normal??

I answered this by saying both normal and correct.

Beate has given one approach to get the system to provide somebody to monitor the taking of the medication at a cost to the LA.

There is a different approach
  • Presumably the GP made the referral to the consultant, maybe via a clinic.
  • The consultant recommended a course of treatment.
  • This treatment requires supervision. Once, maybe building up to twice, daily.
  • The GP has a duty of care to provide this supervision, probably by the community nursing service at a cost to the practise.
It maybe that follow on prescriptions by the GP are regarded differently in terms of supervision..

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Heidi j