Proton pump inhibitors

charlie10

Dec 20, 2018
For the last couple of years I've been very worried about my dad's weight loss.....about a stone for no reason. Dad is 93 and does not have dementia, is very physically fit and independent (he's still in England, lives on his own) but for a long while found it very difficult to eat much, said food had no taste. He has recently been taken off his PPIs (Ranitidine and Omeprazole) and has found that he has more appetite and has actually put on a little bit of weight :D Not a dementia problem as such, but I wondered if it might also cause an eating problem with some pwds.......I know not eating is associated with the disease, but maybe occasionally it's more of a medication side effect. I was gobsmacked when he told me.....had researched many possible reasons for it but never thought it might be his meds!

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
My mother has been on PPIs for many years, and she is underweight with a diminished appetite (although cake is popular!) However when she was accidentally taken off the meds after a hospital visit, she had such bad reflux that she wouldn't eat anything! Presumably your father no longer needs the PPIs, fingers crossed his renewed enthusiasm for food continues.

charlie10

Dec 20, 2018
sorry your mum had a bad reaction @Sirena, reflux is so unpleasant at the the best of times. Dad's been seeing a consultant for Barrett's Disease, and I presume she took him off it, so I'm hoping it's a good sign.....I know he doesn't want me to worry about him so far away, so I don't quite trust him :rolleyes: He does sterling work visiting my FiL who is housebound with cognitive difficulties......he's our fly on the wall ;)

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
Just to mention that several of my friends (who don't have dementia) are on PPIs and all have good appetites - in fact a couple of them, including one with Barretts, have what you might call too good an appetite, and need to lose weight. Anyway good news that your dad can enjoy his food now - and also good news that he doesn't actually need the meds any more.

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
One of the issues with meds is they work in the same way for most people but not everyone.

If you read the leaflets about side effects with every medication you'd never take it.

Having had the pleasure? of taking my dau round uni biochemistry depts. in the spring, this is certainly an area the medical world are aware of and resources are being put into.

In my family, son finds paracetamol more effective than ibuprofen, however it had side effects of constipation when he was young so I gave ibuprofen in preference. OH has an allergic reaction to ibuprofen (much worse with aspirin) only developed in his 40s.

My understanding is but I've not tried it out is that pharmacists are better than GPs at understanding the interaction of drugs.