Protecting sister when out walking

Grannyal

Nov 3, 2019
My sister is on her own and because she lives near me most of responsibility for her falls on me, she is 72 years old and diagnosed with Alzheimer’s coming up on a year now, but seems to be deteriorating quickly
She has a dog which she takes out for walks several times a day
She has fallen on two occasions while out and luckily the last time someone was there to help her but couldn’t contact anyone from family and I eventually found out through a third party phoning a person who has my phone number
My sister refuses to admit she has any problems and what I’m looking for is a way to provide my contact details for her to Keep with her without feeling undermined

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @Grannyal you are welcome here and I hope you find the forum to be a friendly and supportive place.

I hope you have time to take a good look around the site as it is a goldmine for information. When I first joined I read old threads for information but then found the AS Publications list and the page where a post code search can be done to check for support services in ones own area. If you are interested in these, clicking the following links will take you there

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-support/publications-factsheets-full-list

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/find-support-near-you

You will see that there are Factsheets that will help with things like getting care needs assessments, deciding the level of care required and sorting out useful things like Wills, Power of Attorney etc., if any of that hasn't already been done. There is also a Dementia Guide in the list.

I do think that someone will have to do a bit more about the falls - not least because a serious fall may cause a deterioration of the dementia. Apart from that, your area may have a falls prevention service that can provide help. My wife had a great many falls and stumbles over the last 15mths and I have noticed that since our local Falls Prevention Service set my wife up with strength and balance classes she has become much better in relation to stability. The Service can also advise on other issues like alarms etc. Other issues, like poor vision, medication side effects etc may also be relevant in your sisters case. A chat with the GP may get things moving in a positive way - that's where I started in my wife's case.

Now that you have found us I hope you will keep posting as the membership has vast collective knowledge and experience.

Last edited:

Banjomansmate

Jan 13, 2019
Dorset
If she has a smartphone there is an ICE (In Case of Emergency) page you can complete with your details, which is always accessible even if the phone is locked.

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
You can get free helpcards which contain details of who to contact if needed:

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-support/publications-and-factsheets/helpcards

As your sister refuses to admit that she has difficulties then she may not want to carry it but maybe you could place these in a coat pocket, bag or purse that she always has with her? As stated above though, the problem is the falling - is the dog pulling her over? Could someone else accompany her when she goes out?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JamieF7